1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newbie questions

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dlove, Mar 7, 2004.

1. dlove

dlove LawnSite Member

I have 1 acre of grass to cut, and am considering the LazerZ HP with 48" deck. I know this is overkill for the 1 acre, but I want to cut it fast and want something that will last me a LONG time.

I have a few questions.....

1) Can I easily pull a spreader or core aerator (200 lbs weight) with it?

If I'm going to replace a lawn tractor with a ZTR, I need to be able to do the other home-owner stuff as well. I have a utility 4-wheeler to pull a cart for firewood, etc.

2) Kawasaki 21 or Kohler 20? Which one is the most "proven"?

3) Why go back and forth vs going round and round? I don't care about striping. It seems like there would be less time used with the "traditional lawn tractor way".

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sorry for the late response.

A commercial "Z" is a great lawnmower. They are quick, leave a great cut and are much more comfortablel than most lawn tractors.

A commercial "Z" will not however replace a lawn tractor for things like towing. The general rule of thumb regarding pulling attachments is this.

If you can pull the accessory yourself with out excessive stress or excertion it's okay to pull it with the "Z". If it is greater than that then your probably going to add strain to the drive system over time.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

FYI, what he said is true, but it CAN be done, just more wear and tear. i'd go with the kawasaki. kawi always seems to make more torque than kohlers, but both are good engines.
  4. dlove

dlove LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I'll try pulling my aerator and spreader with the 4 wheeler. I only use those a few times per year anyway. The majority of time is cutting grass. If that works out OK, I'll go for the Exmark.

By the way, this forum is awesome. Although it costs Exmark some expense to have it monitored, having access to Exmark personnel to get honest and well-informed answers puts Exmark way up on my list.

Thanks again....