Newbie saying thanks!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tteckster, Jan 17, 2006.

1. tteckster

tteckster LawnSite Member

I recently was awarded a large commercial contract (120 properties) after several months of research and bid planning. I just wanted to thank this site and everyone that makes it so informative! Now, more reading to decide on what equipment to purchase!

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

new troll in the house?

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Not being a wiseazz, but, please allow me understand this. So you bid a 120 unit commercial property (sounds like apts) (and if they are I hope you really bid high as you will understand why when you get into it) , in which you represented yourself as having the knowledge, experience, insurance, licensing and equipment to do the proper job. Signed a legally binding contract re-stating these things....and you really didn't?

Also if you are for real and had read further you would have read that you never purchase equipment based on one single job. Lose it and you are bankrupt. Also if you will be applying fert or even something as simple as Roundup in NC you'll have to have a Pesticide License, but I'm sure you read that too.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

no equipment, no experience, no thanks....:nono:

5. tteckster

The properties are state owned residential lots (houses removed) being held for future projects. The state requires proof of insurance one day after you’re awarded the contract, so that wasn’t a problem. The contract is for mowing every 10 days and string trimming 1 time a month, nothing else.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Really? How exactly did you start then?

Welcome to Lawnsite tteckster. Personally I think you are pretty smart.. Line up the jobs BEFORE you buy the equipment. That way you aren't over buying... that's the problem, too many people buy too much equipment too quick... then they can't get the jobs.

7. MMLawn

Let's see, as I have numerous State Contracts (and Federal) and am a "preferred vendor" by the State because of my vast experience in government contracts and work they also clearly state in the RFP that you sign and submit that you HAVE IN PLACE the equipment, manpower and experience to complete the job. Which means you falsified the contract, which means if anyone else on here reads this that bid on it (I certainly didn't as I don't do "bushhogging" type properies) then they can appeal the Award of Bid based on this. You also in addition to Libility will have to provide proof of seperate Vehicle libility insurance of at least $300K (when NC normal standard and what regular policies issue is only $30K), and Workmens Comp even if your are SOLO if it is a State Contract.

8. MMLawn

EMM, even when you are signing and swearing by that signing that you already have these things and experience?

I guarantee you that if the State of NC knew this they'd void this contract faster than I drive..

9. MMLawn

Oh, and Welcome to LS. I really do mean that, but I also strongly disagree with you intentionly misleading account holders, esp when I guarantee you the other bidders probably had the equipment and experience. But, becasue they did I bet in the long run you find out you got it over them because you under bid it. Esp, since it is your first acct.

10. tteckster

Well apparently your not that preferred, just kidding, the contract does not require comp insurance on yourself, only when and if you hire employees. Your vast experience goes to waste if you don’t bid. The state takes bids, and the low bidder gets the job. (after your checked out) I noticed your in Greensboro, we could meet and have coffee and discuss your vast experience with state contracts, at which time I can show you a copy of mine.