Newbie - small commercial mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mow-lawns, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mow-lawns

mow-lawns LawnSite Member

I only have 6 accounts but some of the lawns are getting larger. I have to get through gates and I am looking for a larger than 22 inch but nothing too big (48" is too big to get thru the gate).

Any ideas on what mower would be good for me? (32" to 38")

Thanks for your help.
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Dpends, do you have a trailer? Putting a wb in a pickup really sucks.
    Size wise, a 36" wb is 50% larger, but the real difference is in ground speed and cutting ability.
    Belt driven wb are easily found on ebay or through equipment suppliers that take trades.
    There isn't a "bad" wb made by Gravely, Scag, Toro/Exmark, Great Dane, Hustler, Bunton, Swisher, Ransomes, Ferris.
    Probably what I would do would be to post a notice at a equipment place that you are looking for a particular configuration mower, ie 36" walk behind, belt driven, must come with mulching kit - some thing like that.
    Typically, you can get a decent machine for around $1,000.
    I started off with a Scag, paid $1100 for it as it was maybe 2 1/2 years old, put over 600 hrs on it in a little over a year and a half, then sold it to a friend for $650.00 and he was happy to buy it.
    I'm sure with a little investigation, you will find something like I described. Good luck.
  3. mow-lawns

mow-lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for some ideas I had never thought of. I was looking thru the classifieds waiting for that mower to pop up, but it never did. I went to yard sales and I guess looking in all the wrong places.

I do have a trailer (46" wide - inside) with a "home made" ramp.

Thanks for the excellent advise.