1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newbie starting in Spring 2004

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ace329, Oct 3, 2003.

1. ace329

ace329 LawnSite Member

Hello to all Lawnsite members in cyberspace!

I've been on this site for several months and gain a lot of valuable information. I will be starting in spring 2004. I have all the basic equipment (Redmax mower, two echo trimmers and shindaiwa edgers) etc. What size walk behind should I start out with 36 or 44 deck?

Oh yeah I have a budget of $3500.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the mower size depends on the properties that you will have
  3. ace329

ace329 LawnSite Member

Most of the residental property area I've targeting has 1/2 acre or less.
  4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

If I had to do it all over again I would start with a 48"
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

starting with 48" makes sense...
  6. ace329

ace329 LawnSite Member

May ask why start with a 48 deck?
  7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

We have these things called fences here and they prohibit the use of mowers larger than 21" on 70% of properties !
    Good Luck ! If I were to do it aover again I would buy a 36" WB
    as my second machine after a 21" ! That is what works in my market ! Most of the guys on here laugh because even the big outfit here owns 2 ZTR's, 1 48" WB and 10 JD 21" mowers, They use the 21" on the vast majority of their properties. Hey if I were in a flat area as oposed to the town where I live which is over 50% built on hills, I would buy a larger machine assuming I didn't have the gates to deal with. I still think that the fencing contractors here only ever installed 30" gates.
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

My first mower I bought was a 36. That way I could get through almost any gate, and with just starting I needed every account I could get.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if they are a half an acre of less go for the 36"
  10. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

The fence issue was of concern to me at first also. I bought a toro 32" which works wonderful for these areas. Putting the jungle wheels on the back allowed for quick care of larger properties, even up to 4 acres within a reasonable time frame. I believe it cost around $2300 $2500- new. This would be within your budget and allow for any additional equipment that may arise as being needed later on in starting up. Hope the best for you.