Newbie Startup Plans

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CJ0000, Jun 23, 2005.

1. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

I'd like to get into lawncare maintenance in Central NJ where I live. I will work part time (Fri,Sat,Sun) till I have enough customers to jump in full time and quit my 9 - 5. Typical lot sizes around here range from 1/2 acre to 3 acres.

My funds are low so here is what I'm thinking to start off with and I'll hire 1 assistant or should I even bother:
    95 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup
    6 x 10 open trailer
    48" or 61" walk behind mower
    (I was thinking about a used Skag w/ velke, but I'll consider something cheaper if it can do the job right)
    Crafstman 6.75 Push mower
    Egder/WeedWacker/Blower

...How & When can I make the transition from P/T to F/T? It would be nice to hear from you guys that have done this. Is it too late in the season to get enough customers?

I appreciate the info I've read so far and look forward to contributing.

CJ

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Most people want their yards cut before the weekend. You might run into a problem with this. Also what happens if you get backed up with rain? Usually for me Fridays and Saturdays are left open for catchup. Good luck with your business, hope all goes well.

3. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

I guess I have no choice for now...Fridays will be my best bet with Sat. as an alternate. Thanks

4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Why hire an employee...even part time...when you don't have enough accounts currently to even justify yourself. I work alone and love it! It's hard to start this late in the year. Everyone mostly has their lawn care set up and running well by now. Why not start planning for next spring. Advertising ideas, equipment purchased in the latter part of the year is cheaper as dealers want to get rid of it before winter. And definetly read here as much as you can. It has helped me tremendously. Good luck.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Because he can get more work done, make a profit off the employee.

6. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

I'm going to try to pickup a few accounts now and be more prepared for next season. Any tips for a new guy to get new customers?

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi CJ0000,

Create some flyers and hand them out in your area. Hand out business cards to everyone you know.

Good luck to you! :)

8. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

My advice is to gain skill first. Nothing above has mentioned experience or training. If you were selling yourself to me I would ask references or locations you have taken care of to see what work you do.
    You might consider a year working for someone else first unless you have the experience and just didn't post it.

9. CJ0000

CJ0000 LawnSite Member

I have no other experience than taking care of my own lawn for 3 years...
    Maybe I'll offer to do my neighbors @ a serious discount for practice...

10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

I still think you could learn a lot working a while for an established reputable company. NOt saying you can't go out on your own right off the bat but use caution when people ask technical questions you may not know the answer to. NEVER BS a customer..just tell them if you don't know the answer. BUT before you service that account you can make it a point to have the answer. You will gain respect that way.