1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie-Summer Fertilizer Suggestion & Irrigation Time?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by wolfetone, Jul 14, 2014.

1. wolfetone

wolfetone LawnSite Member
    from MA USA

I figured this is crab grass??
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

This type of watering only works if one's lawn has the ability to hold the water. Without knowing the gentlemans soil structure you are doing him a disservice telling him to water that way.

3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry about it. It will die off late sept. Be sure to reseed early sept or even late aug so when it does die off it will be filling in.

As far as how long to water you need to take a few things into the picture. amount of sun , soil structure and what size nozzles are in your sprinklers.

4. wolfetone

from MA USA

Posted via Mobile Device

5. wolfetone

from MA USA

This is actually for my own lawn I'm not a landscaper.
    Thanks for the advice guys
    I changed out my sprinkler heads to rain bird impacts and increased the time in the more sun exposed areas. Does Lesco have sun exposed seed that does well in New England? HD only seems to have sun and shade mix

I figured the stuff in the picture above was crab grass and treated it with weed b gone
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is why inspecting the rootzone is so important... when you see how an irrigation event actually settles into a rootzone then you know exactly what you've accomplished...
    The next step will be to see how long the soil stays moist enough... that is when the weather, environment and soil texture really make make the difference and a physical inspection of the soil a few days later will show you exactly what is going on below the surface...
    I keep at 2 prong plugger in the truck for just that purpose... nothing fancy necessary but a quick look at the top 4" of the turf is priceless... :)

7. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

They have plenty of full sun varieties. My personal favorites is 50/50 (rye/blue) and eagle+blue (70tri-rye,30blue). I would bring in a sample of what you already have, they will look at it and tell you what it is so that you don't end up with patches of a different variety.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

What are of Mass are you in?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. wolfetone

from MA USA

MetroWest
    Posted via Mobile Device