Newbie Tearin' it up on turns!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spalmer97, Apr 18, 2003.

1. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

Just got my new eXmark 36" belt 15 hp Kawi v-twin(Grin!) Made the transition from a John Deere Lt133 'cause I wanted "The Stripes" and straight lines. I find that in order to get straight lines I need to lock the brake which is tearing up my turf. Any tricks of the trade you all could offer would be appreciated! BE KIND! LOL. JPA

2. spalmer97

Metro...Pistol Grips...Thanks!

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

pull back on the mower when turning in order to get the inside tire rolling backwards. This will eliminate the little turf tears from pivoting tire when locking it up.

4. spalmer97

Thanks Chip...I feel like going out now and trying it...I guess I can wait until the am.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You will have to do one of two things when using Chip's method (common method actually).

1) squeeze the lever just the right amount to get it clutched but not engaging the brake.
    2) loosen the brake band adjustment so that you squeeze all the way without engaging the brake, which would make it very difficult to pull the mower backwards LOL. IMO, with a belt drive it's sometimes easier if you have the room, to make little circle turns and then straighten it up after you turn. It will take a while to get used to a w/b after a lawn tractor beleive me I know! But they're easy to learn and when you grow into a sulky watch your productivity and profit go up and fatigue go down! You'll love it (mower and/or sulky!).

6. spalmer97

Thanks Bushhog...I've heard about the circle tur but wouldn't that take away from my stripe affect?

7. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

For straight lines pick an object off in the distance and keep an eye on it. Do not look at where your last pass was just look at the object you have chosen. You can use these objects for every run in that direction and "believe it or not your hands will automatically adjust to correct the mowers movements.

Easy to do but hard to explain! Try it

Hope it helped.

Little Guy:blob2:

8. spalmer97

Thanks Little guy...Can't wait to try all of this stuff. Lots of advice in a short period of time...Much appreciated to all that have responded already!

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

LOL just don't run over anything while you are meditating on that distant object hehe... with a hydro drive it takes all the guess work out of it. It automatically tracks straight! Plus turns are a breeze, no circle turns or manually backdragging the mower. Pull a sulky better too and works much better on hills.

Oh we're talking about circle turns - when you start mowing don't make any perimeter passes like you might be used to doing. Just take off striping and when you're done mowing then make your cleanup pass(s). This will cleanup the uncut grass and the turn marks. Usually I end up making a first pass or two and then mowing, then making one cleanup pass around the perimeter (might take two with a belt drive). This cleans up the turn marks and breaks up clumps of grass that may have accumulated during turns.

10. spalmer97

BHB...Sounds like the perfect plan...Thanks for taking the time!