1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie to fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ZKSLAWN, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ZKSLAWN

ZKSLAWN LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to start offering fertilizing to my costumers.. but i know nothing about what kind of fertilizer to use at one time.. does any one have any tips or literature they could share as to how to start?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Use the Scotts four Step. Or better yet, talk to salesmen at several fert dealers. You will get a lot of information. Also a lot of bull. Its your job to separate the two. Be sure you are familiar with local recommendations from nearby ag colleges.

3. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

my suggestions, being that it sounds like your in business, make sure that you can apply fertilizer in your state, or city, with or without an applicators license, some require, some don't.

4. FYS777

my suggestions, being that it sounds like your in business, make sure that you can apply fertilizer in your state, or city, with or without an applicators license, some require, some don't. some on this site can probably direct you to were you need to go to find out that info.

5. ZKSLAWN

I believe i found it .. i looked on google.. it says i need a license if the fertilizer contains herbicide or pesticide...

6. FYS777

If the site you found has a number call it and ask. can you put the link up on here? the state rep. that you call should be able to mail you the regulations so you can have a copy on hand.

7. ZKSLAWN

8. FYS777

that thread is five years old reg's could have change by now.

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That's correct.
    Most states require a license for pesticide application by anyone in a 'for hire' mode.
    More often than not fertilizers by themselves are exempt or grandfathered from this rule.
    A common misconstrued grey area is if you buy and apply for-profit dry fertilizers that ALSO contain pesticides like granular 'weed n feeds' or 'fertilizer + grub control'. These are combination products that contain pesticides as well as fertilizer, and thus typically require State licensing to apply.

BTW, ZKS,
    A herbicide is a pesticide.
    So is an insecticide & a fungicide.
    In fact this basic information is part of the study material you'll need to pass the Ohio version of the test (and others, I'm sure!!) :waving:

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member