Newbie to Landscaping...Please Help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by newbie_paul, Sep 17, 2005.

1. newbie_paul

newbie_paul LawnSite Member

My family and I just moved. As seen on this webpage: My Webpage , I have a lot of work to do. Can anyone please give me some pointers from what they see in the pictures? I would like to make the grass a lot greener and from looking at neighbors lawns, the longer the grass is = the greener it is. How often should the sprinkler system be run? We live in Arlington, TX so we average about 95 degrees everyday. How do i repair that kind sprinkler system? Its the 1st one we
    ve owned so were kind of lost. Thanks for your help.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well the lawn looks alittle clorotic and needs iron,like ironite.This fall I would airate,rake-out built-up thatch,and apply iron and topdress with topper,possibly overseed,but I don't think it needs that.I would allow it to grow out two more inches and keep it longer,that's a bit too short for a healthy lawn in my opinion,others here will have different opinions on height so listen to them as well.
    As far as the sprinklers ..you have a broken off pipe and you need to carefully dig down to find out if the pvc pipe broke at an elbow or a tee or what .Dig it out well and tak a pick.In the future,I would install a drip irrigation system for your flower beds and use the sprinklers for the lawn only,this is easily done.For now pull those weeds on the side and reapply mulch to 3 or 4 inches deep. Take a pic after you dig that corner up.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Since your new at this the BEST advise would be to hire a landscaping co. to fix your and test your irrigation system and to help your lawn get in shape. I'm sure that some will help you out with what you could do the following yrs to keep it looking good but you never get the same results as fast and when its said and done you probably won't save a whole lot of money trying to do it yourself, for awhile anyways. To much experiminting with what you think it might need can pay for the cost of what it actually does need. For the beds 3 inches of mulch will help the looks of them. Again pay an LCO for there knowledge to help you get started.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, it doesn't look half bad.

Second of all, I agree with the other post: Ironite.

5. newbie_paul

newbie_paul LawnSite Member

does anyone recommend any landscaping companies in the dfw area? We stay in 76013. Our neighbor uses TruGreen Chemlawn or whatever they are called, and their yard looks pretty nice.