newbie to Landscaping -please help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Marek13, May 16, 2007.

1. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Hi guys,
    This might be the dumbest question you'll get but ... here it goes.
    how are you disposing the clippings-I've been doing part time landscaping for 8 years and kept steady 30 accts (that’s all I needed) but recently word of clients spread and now I am close to 50 acct. believe or not all my 30 clients had grass bins set up for me so I just disposed grass and they had it taken by town-few others I just collected them and put them out in front of my house and town would take it too. But now I have 10 decent lots and they need to have their grass disposed –At first I wanted to pass, but they are friend or family of my clients and they willing to pay top $ for the cut.
    How does it work do you have to have a permit with Town to dispose clippings and what’s the average rate. I am in NJ (Springfield/Livingstone area) anyone care to drop some Advised I would appreciate
    Thanks Mark

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

im not sure how it works where you are but here i think we take them to the dump? i only bag 1 or 2 lawns a week so i just put them out and the city takes them for free. if you know someone out in the country ask them if you can dump them out there?

3. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

That's why I only mulch the clippings.

If anyone is interested, i use raptor blades. made by stens

4. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. Any one else cares to drop in. Any Guys in NJ that collect and dispose-what do your do with your clippings?
    Thanks
    Mark

5. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

I hate bagging but when I have to I came up with a great idea, I just hope my wife does not read this............flush them down the toilet :weightlifter:

6. so cal Josh

so cal Josh LawnSite Member
    from So Cal

Maclawns:
    Do the raptor blades mulch well enough to hide clippings on let's say a twice per month service? I suppose it depends on the area & type of grass & mower height, season etc but this caught my interest . . What type of mower do you use them on? Thanks!

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of your custmors have a wooded back yard, or do you know anyone with a wooded back yard. beaacause if you do ask if you can dump there.

or ask custumers if they need extra grass for anything, you could also knock a few $$ of the persons bill that will let you dump.

otherwise just say i can bag but if you have a recpticale for grass if ot have to chare you to dispose of the clippings.

8. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Contact a local landscape supply company. Alot of them will let you dispose of it on there property at a MUCH cheaper rate than the dump or a county landfill. I also have a couple farmers that will let me dump leaves/clippings.

9. Marek13

Marek13 LawnSite Member

I currently have 32 husky and 33 inch Billy Goat. But Billy Goat has to go-I got their mulching kit and I tried but it leaves clumps on the lawn and it’s hard to maneuver. I ordered Raptor Blades for my Husky so I will test it. To see how it looks. I wouldn’t even bother with it but 5 of my new customers insist on bagging and they willing to pay for it –others don’t mine as long as there is not visible clippings on the lawn

10. MacLawns

MacLawns LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 Scag tiger cub 48" deck 21hp kawa. 1200hrs I couldn't even get the full mulch kit in 2006. they don't make it anymore for that model. all i have is raptor blades and closed discharge chute. the rest is all open.

Twice a month here in spring means knee high grass, and no they wouldn't mulch very well in those conditions. That is why I only have weekly accounts. Most of my accounts I can get away with single cut. And get away with means it looks as good as or better than bagging. the only place you see grass is on your shoes and a little on the turns. some(those that get weed and feed every month) need a double cut to make it look perfect. BTW I don't do the weed and feed.