Newbie to the biz

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by photoman, Jul 9, 2007.

1. photoman

photoman LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about starting up a side biz, with cutting grass in the area. Not looking to make a living, just some extra cash to pay off some student loans and some other debt. I have a fulltime job, so I 'm looking to work maily on the weekends. I've beeen eying the Cub Cadet 19" Self Propelled mower and a Cub Cadet 17" 4 cyl gas trimmer. I know I have to spend $$ to make $$, but I don't want to spend too much. I live just outside of Phoenix, AZ. Most have desert Landscape in the newer developments, however the older areas, have large plush yards. No need for a rider, push will do just fine. My question, is do you think it would be a wise investment, for a part time job?

I'm new to the biz idea, but have mowed lawns for years. Used to do it all the time as a kid to save money for church camp. Yes, it's HOT in AZ, and I think that is my advantage. Who really wants to cut their grass when it's 118 degrees?

Thank you for your time

Have a great day! :usflag:
  2. mowNblow

mowNblow LawnSite Member

i would say buy the best gear u can afford, it will pay for itself many times over and save u time and money that isnt spent on a repair shop a 19 inch mower sounds kinda small at least get a 21 inch check around on for your particular area look for a 21 inch toro commercial or a honda commercial 21 inch either is a terrific mower and should only set u back $300 used of course, but these 2 mowers will last a LONG time
  3. photoman

photoman LawnSite Member

Thank You!!