Newbie to the site - old gardener

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Eden's Gardener, Nov 25, 2005.

1. I have finally taken the plunge and quit the "real" job for a full time life of working for myself. I have been an "organic" gardener forever and in the Dallas market that is hot. I have worked landscape sales and retail as well as been on my own for 2 years part time, now full time sink or swim. Do we have anyone else on this site that is organic in their approach? And if so, do you find that you can merit more $ for this specialized knowledge. (there really is more to it than some may think) I am a prof. horticulturist, too, but not degreed as such. Just in the field - a school of hard knocks so to speak. Also, one last thing, when no plants are being added, just soil work or fixing someone else's' poor plant placements, how do ya'll go about pricing labor only? I mean sure I'd like to make a zillion an hour, but what is fair market value? Do ya just call other landscape companies in your market and see what the going rate is? Thanks for any help. This site has a lot of good info on it so far as I have read.

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Welcome!! Use the search feature. It will answer all your questions and then some. Also check the Organic forum. There are quite a few guys there that are really into the organic aspect.

3. Yes, after posting here, I stumbled/searched upon the organic forum. Thanks.