1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newbie trying to gain on em

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vos, May 12, 2008.

1. vos

vos LawnSite Member

hello!!!!! just found this site and picture it as a fountain of knowledge. to make a long story short i just started a residential and commercial lawn mowing buisness. now ive got all the equipment and have ordered some transfer tanks for fuel and oil and fuel mix. but im having trouble getting attention from customers i know i just started but am wondering does anyone have any tips on getting more customers??????

thanks landon
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Do a great job, they will come looking for you...

Dont lowball, add a 5 to the end of every bid, 45.00 35.00 95.00 and such....
  3. vos

vos LawnSite Member

thanks man really helps but i think i could have figured that out on my own(no offense) what do you think about stihl????? i have a weedeater brand string trimmer and am wondering if i should switch?

4. Why should someone hire you over the other thousands of LCO's out there, figure that out and you have your answer.
  5. vos

vos LawnSite Member

because i do the job and only the job without bs? i do the same thing as everyone else just i suppose i do a better job. i did a job for a high ranking ceo and he hasnt called me back does this mean i did a bad job or he hasnt gotten around to calling me?
  6. Darren Lumpkins

Darren Lumpkins LawnSite Member

If it bothers you . Then give him a call and see whats up. The worst he can do is hang up on you! And if he does that. Ask yourself..what could you done to upset him over the job.

But getting back to what you asked. Try going door to door. Just talking to people at your local stores even helps.Then more people you talk with the better off you will be. Don't always look at people as a customers. Meet them for who they are and work yourself into it!
  7. vos

vos LawnSite Member

well i havent tried that and well i kinda saw it as not as proffesional but right now ive done one job and am desperate for more but you are right the worst he can do is hangup on me(they were storage buildings but i did a excellent job personally speaking) im goin to give hima call in the morning. thanks for the help guys and im goin to be checking this everday from now on so ill talk to yall later i appreciate all the help you have given me.

landon(Von's mowing service Residential and Commercial)
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Go door to door with flyers or doorhangers.
    You may not reap the benefits until next year.
    That is what I am seeing from my first to 2nd year, exponential growth this season.
    Put an ad in your local paper and run it regularly and often during the growing season.
  9. vos

vos LawnSite Member

hmmmm you really are correct ive given alot of thought to it today while i was sitting around the house working on my newspaper ad and really there are potential jobs out there but i think that the bigger guys who do this for a living have it covered how do i take them over exactly (not sayin that they do a bad job ive seen the lawns they are amazing around here)
  10. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

When you call him back don't come across as being desprate for business,this happened to me recently and all I did was give the customer a courtesy call to make sure they were satisfied with the level of service they received....and to let them know that It was a pleasure to service their lawn...and would apperciate any future business or refferals....thats it...and if they want to hire you full time they will if not..move on