newbie who needs education

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by j9sheldon, May 7, 2003.

1. j9sheldon

j9sheldon LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    I have completed my irrigation coarse so now I am taking the test to get my liscense in july. By the way I live in texas. Problem is I can do all the designing and working the pressure, but what I don't have is hands on experience. I have never put one in. I was hoping someone could give me a link or some names of books that are pretty in-depth on putting in irrigation systems. I bought the ortho book, but it didn't go as deep as I wanted. Any advice I could get on my dilema would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    j9sheldon

2. j9sheldon

I found some info using the search feature but feel free to post anyway

3. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing like practical application. PERIOD
    the irrigation association will not even let you take there CIC exam without 3 years of job experience. Must be the State of Texas knows more than them, Anyway, Texas will be the 3rd largest state after Alaska divides into 2 LOL

4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I still think the Hunter Residential design book is pretty good. But what you need is field experience. Try to do some work for a friend or relative for cost of materials or get a job with an installer. You can learn on your own but it's a long slow road to get proficient.

5. brentlent

brentlent LawnSite Member

I agree with Harold. Find a friend or family member and do one for cost of materials. With a good understanding of design, it's just a matter of "learning by doing" the most efficient way to install.

The first system I did was at my own house. Good thing, since the gas company didn't mark the correct location of the gas line and I hit it with the trencher. Yes, it ignited (which I'm told is rare) and all my neighbors looked out their windows as the fire trucks, etc. swarmed the street.

My advice is keep track of your trenching time, etc. Learn your labor costs and then you can bid and complete the job properly. So many companies get by with the cheapest components, smallest size pipe, etc. Do it right and you'll have a backlog of work. (Maybe fixing everyone else's work)

Good luck!

brent

6. j9sheldon

thanks to everyone who replied.