newbie with a new deere

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mastinson, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mastinson

mastinson LawnSite Member

Hello all my 15 yr MTD wouldnt make it another year so I went to the local dealer and got a new LA100 which I think will be great. Here are some specs and a couple of questions

42"
    18.5 briggs
    cast iron sleeve
    G4 crankshaft
    OHV
    AVS
    Dual element
    green and yellow pain :laugh:

I mow 1 1/2 - 2 acres of all flat yard and will not be doing any pulling or spraying because I use my Honda Rancher for those tasks, do you think this will be a good mower for 1 1/2 - 2 acres of flat yard?

2. mastinson

Well it seems like a great mower and I highly recomend one to anyone who is looking for a good residental mower at around $1500.00.

[​IMG]

3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is that almost 2 acres of grass? or does that include house, planting beds, etc. If it is all grass, you may want to think about a bigger deck, if you can afford it. Otherwise, a 42" deck will be fine. Does it come with a drink holder? (lol, couldn't resist)

A John Deere should last you many years.

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not a real deere but never the less if you simply maintain it like you should and pay attention when you mow and don't hit roots or anything like that it should last you several years. Best of luck.

5. mastinson

Its produced at the John Deere plant in Greenville Tenn, they also say John Deere and have the same paint, the John Deere dealer at which I purchased it don't sell anything but John Deeres :confused: .

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

JD bought some cheap company to make these mowers so they can compete w/ craftsman, murray, etc. basically the lowend homeowner. They sell them at lowes & home depot. Its an ok mower for the price but its not a true JD just b/c of paint. A true JD starts around $4k and up. My father has a small engine shop and there is no comparision between the two. But still for $1500 if you take care of it, it will last for many years.

7. mastinson

Oh I didn't know that, oh well it should do my flat 2 acres easily.

8. brbolin

brbolin LawnSite Member

With your 2 acres being rather flat, just mainly watch out for the roots, you should be fine.
    I had an L120 I purchased from Home Depot about three years ago. I think I may have gotten a "lemon", because it died at the end of last season. I'm mowing about 2.7 acres, and we have a yard that's rather steep in a few places and is pretty much a constant incline. The transmission ended up going out of it, and I could only mow about 1.5 hours before it would just sit there and not do anything. Again, with you being on flat ground, as mentioned above, keeping up the maintenance and watching roots and ruts you should be fine. My mower still starts up like a champ, but other than that, it's become a nice "lawn ornament". :eek:

Enjoy!

9. bdoutdoors

bdoutdoors LawnSite Member

I have the L120 and cut about 2 ac also if your deck is the same as mine it wont last past the warrenty. I'm on my 2nd deck and its not even 3 years old. JD replaced the first one while it was under warrenty now the new deck has holes worn in it. I'm trying to work with JD to get the deck replaced so i can upgrade to a comercial ZTR but they dont seem to want to work with me even though they have admitted that they have a problem with the decks on those models. I've owned JDs for 23 year but i think i've bought my last.

10. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Basically The LA100'sThrough The Earlier 100"s Are The JD Economy Sabre Line That Came Out In 1996 And Since Around 2002 Have Been Painted Dark Green To Match The Premium Line Color.
    They Are Meant To Only Compete With The Box Store Brands And That's Their Purpose Only.