Newbie with a ????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jalopy436, May 26, 2006.

1. jalopy436

jalopy436 LawnSite Member

Hello all Glenn here. If I am posting in the wrong place let me know. I have just replaced the coil unit in my lesco machine with a Kawasaki fc420v engine. Pull start,no charging circuts. The coil is new,still no spark.. I have heard it could be a 'trigger module" is that the magnet thing on the flywheel? It dosent seem to be connected to anything,but the flywheel. What does it do? And my last question ,are there any online engine schematics, exploded views for this engine?? thank you, G.M.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Check the airgap between the new coil and the magnet on the flywheel, it should be about a business card in thickness. If you have any ?'s about how to adjust this let me know.

3. jalopy436

Thanks for the reply. I do have the gap set at .012 Still no spark. I am still puzzled. ?? GM

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Click on this thread link, It will tell you everything you need to know to diagnose your ignition problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=148243

Good Luck

5. jalopy436

The interlock switches have been bypassed. There is a white wire from the coil,through the blower cover,on the muffler side. it is not connected to anything,never was,when I got the machine(used) I was running,until the no spark condition. I changed the coil (new) and still have no spark. I have not located the exciter,and as far as I know , it never had one. Where would it be,or have been located on this model? Kawasaki fc420v pull start. Thank you. GM:confused:

6. Restrorob

Most are mounted to the cylinder side cover, Never seen one run without the exciter. :confused:
    Some dummy may have re-positioned it under the blower cover ?

7. jalopy436

It was running before .. Have you got a diagram of this engine..??Thanks glenn

8. Restrorob

There is a diagram in post# 10 in the above thread, The diagram below is the only other one. Was the coil air gap set at 0.012" when the new coil was installed ?

FC420V Electrical.JPG