Newbie would appreciate some help!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FlyByWireMarine09, Aug 18, 2005.

1. FlyByWireMarine09

FlyByWireMarine09 LawnSite Member

hey, it has been a while since i've posted here, and I have a few questions.
    I am trying to figure out a way to help pay for college. I was in the landscaping biz b4 when I was like 14/15 y/o and that didn't work out very well. I mean I took on jobs that I couldn't do and didn't have money for decent equipment and lol I couldn't drive sicne I was so young.
    Anyways, I am not 18 and can get a loan, a biz license, insurance, ect... I figured it would probably cost about $100,000 to start up a landscape contracting business. (which i'll have to get a biz loan 4). I know my way around landscape construction and things like that but could someone tell me if there are seminars and classes related to professional installations and things like that? How about avertising? This kind of business I would assume you dont advertise the same way, right? More elaborate postcards and borchures is what you'd use right? (I really have no clue). What about equipment? I was thinking of buying a Ford F-350 and putting a dump insert on it, buying a dump trailer that also would carry a skid steer and putting other misc. equipment in the back of my Dodge dakota (which would be the foreman truck). Also, how do you train and hire crews for this type of work?
    Just so you know, the business part itself (all of the legal stuff) I can figure out myself since I have many many business books.
    Thanks for reading this and thanks for your help in advance.
  2. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

you'll drown!! You do not want to jump into this thing with 100k^ in debt.
  3. FlyByWireMarine09

FlyByWireMarine09 LawnSite Member

well since I have experience, do you suggest that I apply @ a landscaping company for experience, insight and money? There are about a million of em around here. Would they hire an 18 year old kid?
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you can borrow that much, just use it to go to harvard.....
  5. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

get into cutting grass first, it will give you the weekly income to make future investments. focus on that, and only take jobs that dont require a skid, or compactor, etc.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

ditto that
  7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

get some equipment and start small and grow, thats what im doing, but seriously if you are doing this for school money, just go get the school loan, they are available to anyone with a pulse.....

good luck
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL omg u're funny !

- Do NOT go into debt to start a business. You need to SAVE money so you have start-up capital AND you will later NEED to have that SKILL of saving money or you will NOT survive in a seasonal enterprise or really in any business, if you can not or do not know how to save money then you are done in your first year.
    - Before you think any further about a loan, how about walking into the bank of your choice and see first how much they'll lend you, and you will need collateral. Then, after you walk out of the bank, start saving your money.

I'm not getting into the rest.
  9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to do it again, I would go work for someone and learn how to do hardscapes/ masonary. I mean a quality company and learn the tricks of the trade. I'm not talking simple walkways, Im talking elaborate retaining walls and patios etc. Do that for 4years,use your brain and pay attention, not just jerk a shovel; you could make big bucks doing it for yourself then. Do it while you go to school part time/ full time in the summer.
  10. southlin

southlin LawnSite Member

Man i say if u can borrow some money(NOT 100K), but enough to buy a LITTLE DECENT equip. and get some small accounts first, mowing. then gradually mow in to bigger stuff.

P.S. Dont spend all the loan money, save some for capital. Incase something drastic appends. Do a little advertiseing, door hangers work great. Go door to door!