newbie ztr operation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by True Harbor, May 16, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I just bought a used gravely 34z and wanted to know how to become the best operator I can be. Are there any books or anything. I searched for how to operate a ztr but didn't get much info. I picked up the steering pretty quickly but wanna take it to the highest level of proficiency. I live in Fl by the way so I have to be careful of wet grass. thanks

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

more practice!:) Always use smooth flowing movements and light pressure on the sticks. My wife always kids me about being lazy running the Z. She says she can't even see my hands move:laugh:

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Ahhhh the 34Z is an AMAZING machine. You made a good choice because you live on flat ground and it is possibly the best mower ever made for wet conditions. The deck is very deep and handles wet grass like a dream!. I suggest that you make 3 point turns when you turn around or else you will leave dig marks in the grass. The 34Z controls are VERY sensative but being it is your first Z mower that shouldnt bother you any. The only thing you can do is use it and get comfertable with it and dont take it on any slopes becasue it will slide down very easy. Also when your going along you need to keep your front tire in the tire track thats going in the opposite direction that you already cut. The 34Z has no trim overhang so thats why you need to do that in order not to miss any grass from being cut.

Enjoy your new Z!

4. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

ya I've found that 3 point turning works best or using the racetrack style seems fine to without tearing things up. It does have a nice deep deck and hasn't been bogging at all in thick/wet grass. Great mower.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Cut a thousand yards, and you'll be pretty good with it.
    Cut another thousand and you'll be really good.
    Cut three thousand and you're the expert on that machine.

The way you do it is one yard, and one day at a time :rolleyes: