Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rsls, Mar 30, 2005.

1. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

Hello all, I am new to the site and to the business but had a question. I am constantly seeing newbies lowballing experienced operators but what if its the other way around! I have been giving out estimates for lawn services and have been finding the older LCO's in my community are lowballing me! Am I charging too much!
  2. mikestr

mikestr LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

That depends on how much less and how many of them are lowballing you. If EVERYONE is lowballing you, then you should revisit your estimates and make sure you remain competative. If it is just a few of them, then they are out to make a quick buck and will eventual run themselves out of business. Stand behind your price and stress QUALITY of your work. People the shop around the go for the lowest price may not be the customers you want anyways... Good luck. :)
  3. rsls

rsls LawnSite Member

Hey Mikestr. Is it proper to contact other LCO's to find out what they are charging in my area? So far I have been getting my info from friends, co-workers, and people who decline my estimates because they say they got it cheaper with another guy. I got the whole picture on my costs and profit expectations but like you said I need to be competitive. Whats the best way to find out what they are charging. Thot I might find the answer on this site but most of you guys are from back east.
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

That may be the only way to find out what other guys are charging. Find a friends house or maybe a parents house and tell them that you want to use thier lawn to have lco's come and give estimates. Then call some of your biggest competitors and ask them to give you a free estimate, and give them the address of your friend or parent.
    Good luck