Newbie.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RyKR, Jun 5, 2008.

1. RyKR

RyKR LawnSite Member

Recently I started working with a small lawn crew (3 guys) and really enjoyed it. The jerk that started the business just stopped calling (the crew and customers) and sold his equipment. Anyways, I started throwing my push mower and weedeater in the back of my truck to at least make the customers content. Anyways, I really enjoy doing this. So much more than my other job (welder-good pay, crappy work environment).

I would like to skim through the season while working my other job and hopefully earn enough money for some good equipment. That way next year I can get a good start in the spring and get a few more accounts. I am now that guy that everyone on this forum seems to hate (junk truck with junk equipment mowing cheap). Most of the jobs I am doing are for realtors so there no real contracts. When the house sells, the job is gone. The other jobs are smaller city lots (50X150 avg.).

Where should I go from here? I was thinking a 36" walk behind, a 21" mower, and maybe later getting a better riding mower. My current rider is an 80's era POS that is ugly as sin, but it mows great. I am also using a toro mower and trimmer for now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I would like to make is self supporting this year and maybe make some money next year.

2. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

you can make it work, definatly bank the money from this year and invest in say a 36 wb if you will target the small city lots. just at all costs do good work every time. i am still up grading old crap (mowers i had or got cheap) into better commercial stuff.

hope that helps.

3. RyKR

RyKR LawnSite Member

Thanks,
    I am trying to run through all (well a few pages back) of the old posts so that I don't ask a bunch of questions that have already been asked. I have all sorts of questions regarding billing, estimates, equipment, etc... I am finding a lot of answers though.

I am currently in school to get my degree in business management, so, this is kind of working as a lab for me right now.

4. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

good luck. seriously. look at a 36" w/b or the quick 36". great start out mower for small properties like you mentioned. do good work, make a good presentation. and save and upgrade to better equipment. and DONT LOWBALL!!!