Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by FLMOWER, Dec 18, 2002.

1. FLMOWER

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

OK GUYS,
    IM JUST STARTING UP A BUSINESS HERE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA. I AM A FIREMAN FULL TIME AND HAVE ABOUT 32 HOURS A WEEK TO SPEND BUILDING MY NEW BUSINESS. I JUST BOUGHT A 10X8 TRAILER, 36" TORO PROLINE, AND SHINDAIWA TOOLS. I AM LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON ADVERISING AND TIPS ON PICKING UP NEW ACCOUNTS. ANY ADVICE WOULD GREATLY BE APPRECIATED. I WAS POSSIBLY THINKING ABOUT DOOR HANGERS.

THANKS, FLMOWER

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Welcome to Lawnsite,

First, you are going to have to turn the caps off. It is just way too hard to read, and you won't get many replies typing that way.

Lots of good info here on advertising. You can search this site and finds tons of reading on this subject. (the search button is at the top of the page.)
    For advertising, there are flyers, door hangers, the yellow pages,
    newspaper ads, direct mail....

It all depends on how much you have set aside for your advertising budget. Fliers are a pretty inexpensive way to go but you have to lay the fliers out heavy to gain the customers. That means finding lots of neighborhoods you would like to work in and hitting them hard with fliers. (some here recommend going back and hitting them all again with another flier a few months later).
    Not allowed to stuff the fliers in mailboxes though.

Same with doorhangers. Got to lay them out heavy if you expect to gain the customers. www.nebs.com has doorhangers. We bought some from them one year. They worked ok, but we got lazy and didn't put enough of them out.

Get magnetic signs or vinyl lettering for your truck. Although that is not going to get you instant customers, you want name recognition.

Good luck, lots of reading here for you on Lawnsite.

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Great answer Jodi. Budget definitely determines what you can experiemt with. Best of Luck.