1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by supperdude16, Aug 9, 2014.

1. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

Know any good ones?

2. briansprowl

briansprowl LawnSite Member

We use qexpress which is part of quickbooks. Qexpress is good if you spend the money to get there best program. If you wanted something free you can use google calender and set up weekly or bi weekly recurring events. It just depends on how many customers you have. If you plan on sticking it out and growing to a decent size then spend the money. We schedule and bill everything from these programs.

3. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Yardbook. Com. Free.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

You really need to work on charging people the correct amount the first time instead of undercutting like a mad man. I think if you were to sit down with someone from the Small Business Association you would see that you were barely breaking even and possibly losing money. The SBA has retired business owners, accountants, etc who volunteer their time and help you get set up

You are better off staying at home on the couch verus charging 25 bucks to pushmow an overgrown yard

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I already advised the OP to contact score.org The OP is caught up in the moment and my advise is let him fall flat on his face or have a break down or damage one of his accounts properties. Sooner as apposed to later reality will bite him and he won't even remember the sound advise presented by the likes of
    members on this site. The last part about staying at home will come due to an injury sustained from working far harder than smarter.
    easy-lift guy

6. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

I learned quickly that when people tip you its generally because they paid the last guy and the one before that more than you charged . Luckily I learned this at the beginning.

7. supperdude16

Okay that is good to know. I got a 1/2 acre property for $50 so I am gradually going up on my prices lol. My apologies. I have 9 accounts right now :)

8. supperdude16

Finishing out the season on the current prices I quoted people, but will wait until next season I will raise the rates because that is the reasonable thing to do.

I can't just say hey we agreed on this price this is the second time I'm mowing is it okay if I double the price? I have a couple more mows for the season for each and then season I will charge them a better price on my end. The new customers I pick up from now until the snow I will charge them more accordingly helpfully.

9. supperdude16

Yesterday I did the 1/2 acre for $50 and then there was a property that needed a little mowing in really small section of her property. I mowed, trimmed around her garden and then hand pulled grass around the plants... That was hard work. It took about 4 hours to do her property. Charged $135. More reasonable?

$50 + $135 for the day.

10. briansprowl

briansprowl LawnSite Member

Better. You are still a little low but you are around $33 a hour. Be comfortable charging $40 to $45 a hour. If your product is worth it people will pay the extra money to have good service and communication. If they won't so be it. I know you are just starting out and taking whatever you can get but if you want new and better equipment you are going to have to charge more. Keep working hard and it will pay off, but remember to charge what you are worth.