1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jro2625, Apr 7, 2004.

1. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

What would be a "practical" commercial mower for personal use. Looking at 48" or 52" decks only. Want the best bang for the buck or does it matter. Do they all hover around the same price?
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well this is a question where the answer is mostly a matter of opinion. I would look around at your local dealers and find out about the different features the mowers have. Also, I would decide on a dealer that you really like and that will help you down the road on service and parts for your mower. There are many different mowers out there, and if you want my opinion I would buy either a Toro, Exmark, or Scag.... thats JMO. Like I say, there are many different brands and its all an opinion and also a budget that you might want to meet. Are you looking for a walk behind or a rider? Hydro or gear drive?
  3. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

I am looking at zero turns I've probably narrowed to exmark, kubota, and snapper but am welcome to the professional opinion. I know a commercial is not practical but if your gonna drop 3-4k on a regular mower, why not spend a few more and it last forever. Also what manufacturing design is most important to look for i.e. transmission design, pto clutch, spindles, etc.
  4. soilsample

soilsample LawnSite Member

I was in your position a couple of weeks ago.....

After some serious research, I narrowed down the choice to:

Hustler Fastrack - Honda powered
    Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle
    Bad Boy pup.

All appeared to be very good quality mowers.
    I had the best price on the Hustler, but the Dixie Chopper dealer is closer to my home so I bought the

Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle.

WOW - what an awesome machine for a homeowner!
    24" rear tires.... independent hydro pumps/motors. Large Fuel capacity, operator controlled discharge chute........
    Price was under $6000 out the door.

Well worth the money!

Do yourself a favor and keep shopping. Make sure you don't spend big bucks and wind up buying a machine with a "stamped" deck.
  5. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

what is a "stamped" deck? Are they good, bad, ugly? Or is the gauge level the only thing to look at?
  6. soilsample

is constructed by taking a sheet of steel (usually thin steel)..... and pressing it between two molds which stretch and bend the steel into the shape of the deck as you see it.

Most homeowner mowers (Lowe's , Home Depot) have stamped decks. These decks are ordinarily shallow and don't produce the vacuum that a deep "fabricated" deck can produce. They (stamped decks) also are ordinarily much less durable. I've seen gauge wheels break off.... spindles rust out and fall through the deck....

Bottom line is if you want a mower that will last for a LONG TIME.... spend the extra $1500 and keep out of Home Depot.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a professional. Just a homeowner who tried to educate myself on this topic before making a $6k purchase.
  7. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

soilsample, sounds like you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

If you're not a TV watcher, that is to say that it sounds like you really learned your stuff.
  8. soilsample

I'm not a doctor...... I just play one on TV!

And I ate at Subway lastnight :p
  9. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

OK are there commercial mowers with stamped decks? If so should i stay away and how do i find a mower without a stamped deck
  10. soilsample

Most commercial mowers have some sort of fabricated deck. Some are assembled with bolts/nuts.... others welded. However some of the "homeowner" models offered by the commercial manufacturers have stamped decks.

You should look at the websites for whatever product you are interested in to try and determine what type they offer. I may be wrong, but I believe the Simplicity/snapper, cub cadet and several other mfgs who offer a bigger line of homeowner models use some type of stamped deck on some of their more expensive models also.

Beware..... the dealers will try to sell you a $3500 - 4000 ZTR that has an inferior deck. They will say "you'll never wear it out". This may be true, but they probably won't produce the blade tip speed and suction to give a superior quality of cut like a deep deck will.

Blade tip speed and lift (vacuum) are VERY important if you want to have a good quality of cut in ONE PASS without leaving behind stragglers.