Discussion in 'eXmark' started by c125bob, Jun 9, 2004.

1. c125bob

c125bob LawnSite Member

Great site, I've already learned a lot. I need to learn more!

I have an Exmark Lazer HP, 52 inch with a Kohler 20 hp motor. I bought it "used but not abused" and it's a super machine. Today was my first oil change and I made a mess! There has to be a way to drain the oil without it going everywhere, I know I should know that but..............

Any tips or techniques you can provide on how to minimize the mess would be appreciated. It took me way longer to clean up the mower than it did to change the oil. Thanks in advance for your help.

bob

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bob,

It really depends upon when your machine was built. The newer machines have a valve on the starter side of the engine; some of the older models had a threaded fitting out one side that was supposed to let the oil drop down through a hole in the engine deck. You can update your machine to the valve style oil drain as well if you would like. Your local dealer can get you the parts and the installation isn't all that bad but it does require loosening the engine from the frame.

Thanks

Terry

3. c125bob

c125bob LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry, I went by the book (Kohler) and used the fitted "plug". I'll look for the valve & update if it isn't there. What about the Suction pump method? Would that be ok?
    bob

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bob,

Some guys like the suction method. To be honest I'm personally not a big fan of it but that's just my opinion and nothing more............If you are going to use one of these devices I'd recommend changing it hot and fast. My only issue with these devices is whether or not they get the "gunk" and "sludge" out of the crank case.

Many years a go a chemist for a major petroleum company told me that the "sludge" in the oil is often nothing more than all the additives they put in the oil that have separated and are no longer suspended in the oil. I don't know how much oil has changed since then but I have no doubt that he knew what he was talking about. That being said I would definitely not run any additives of any type. Especially if I were using a suction device to remove the crank case oil.

Thanks

Terry

5. c125bob

c125bob LawnSite Member

Duh.......... boy, do I feel dumb. My mower has the modification to allow draining oil (cleanly) on the starter side. It was gunked up with grass etc. and I didn't see it till I started cleaning more oil up from the first dumb attempt. Oh well, I got it now. I think the suction deal is bad as well after hearing others folks say "don't do it". Don't need it now anyway.

Thanks again Terry, I hope all my troubles are this easy! Keep up the good work and have a great weekend.
    bob

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i used to work in a shop on small engines and we had a suction pump. after getting the oil out, you could split the crankcase and still have a lot of oil in it, including all the sludge, best advice is to drain it at the plug.