Newbies are dropping like flys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smcunningham, Jun 18, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about everyone else but in my area the new lco's are dropping like flies.....all kinds of super deals on eqmnt....buying a 6'4"x16' trailer for 500.00 from a new lco who gave up aready....the trailer is five months old....pick up thursday....
    Friday getting to eb630's off another new start up this year for 400.00,there brand new I don't even think the one was ever used:)
    I've got atleast 15 calls in the past week and 6 of them said that there current lco would not be able to continue there service.....then the next sentence would be well come give me an estimate and when the grass starts growing if your price is acceptable/reasonable you can start...........I'm only assuming most of these are from new start ups throwing the towl in..:confused:
    (flies) always typing to fast and not proof reading sorry.
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Yeah it seems like a guy can get some accounts and good equipment a few months into a season. This mowing gig looks good until they get into the grind of leave it to us psychos who like it!:dizzy:
  3. mike plummer

mike plummer LawnSite Member

like any thing you got to work at it to make it work can't make it siting on your BASS if you won't it to work it will but you have to work as hard as you play
  4. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

Mike P,
    Thats for sure.......
    i got smart last year and saved all my major landscaping projects for drought times and slow times and making more $$ landscaping than mowing by tripple now and probaly for the next two and half months

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

They will start dropping worse when the heat begins to up in the next few weeks!!!!
  6. bounty21061

bounty21061 LawnSite Member

what else do they have that there selling i'm trying to buy i'm from around baltimore
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've been saying it, those are exactly the kind of calls I'm talking about, 1st-2nd year customers, it is all I've been getting for 2 months straight, man that stuff drives me nuts.

It's like, and just who do you think you're talking to?
    No, this is neither the secretary, the cashier, nor the phone beotch.
    No, this is neither the boy, the slave, anyone's employee, nor your newly hired toy.
    No, I don't want to have sex with your wife when she has her moment, I don't need a soda, and thanks but no thanks.

I am sorry, I'm afraid my price won't be to your liking.
    Thank you.

I just can't do it, worked too hard to go back down that road.
  8. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

9. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

There used to be a guy in maryland around me, (owings mills area) who sent out flyers for any lawn mowed up to an acre for $40. Needless to say this year he is out of business.
  10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the grind from March until the snow falls..........oh yeah I'm plowing too.....Forgot, I really don't get a break. I'm a 29 year old part timer...Make an easy 70k at my job (40 hrs a week) and any time off goes to my company....I'm a solo runner. Figure If I can bust my ass so my wife can stay home with my 2 kids...why not? It's stupid for her to work to pay for daycare. Some day I'll get large enough to quite my other job but for know I'm happy with the 24 cutting accounts I have(not to mention spring/fall cleanups-mulch etc)