Newby to this Work

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Freshcut Lawn Care, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys, :usflag:

We do Lawn Care and Landscaping work and are looking at opportunities for adding another service to our business.

We are not interested in doing the Snow Removal thing, here in Canada.

We went to a Unique Lighting Seminar this week in the Toronto area to learn a little about Lighting and we are interesting in learning some more about it, prior to jumping in with both feet.

What kind of market is there, for this type of work?

Also, I would assume most home owners would just buy the solar lights from the local hardware store. What percentage of the population goes the 12 volt route?

Any thoughts or comments.

I will be in Florida around Feb. 27 - Mar. 14 and could attend something in this region.

Any assistance on learning more would be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Is there a web site I should visit. I just started looking at the LVLIA site, prior to posting this thread.

Please note, we are not electricians!!!

Thanks to all for any assistance.:canadaflag:

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Let me start by saying hello and welcome. To answer your first question, yes there is a demand for this business. I know a few people in Canada who do over a million dollars a year in landscape lighting. Your target clients will have homes of over a half million and up. I don't know how many that is in Canada but I assume that it is becoming more and more prevalent. I would check out the sites of the major manufacturers to see what classes are offered and where. Check Vista, Cast, Hadco, Focus, Kichler (I know that they only have their courses in Cleveland, Ohio) and maybe FX. If you do a web search for each of these companies you will find there sites. You might also want to check with John Deer or other irrigation distributors in the area of Florida where you will be to see if any of them are offering classes while you are there.

Of course, read all you can on this site. There is a wealth of information about this business and you can always ask any questions that you might have.

Good luck and I pray that you enjoy your new venture,

3. Freshcut Lawn Care

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the information.

Looks like I have a lot of reading and researching to do!

Some very nice people we met at the seminar (here in Canada) sent me some information, as well.

Thanks Susan and Eddie!:waving:

Gerry

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Before you jump into education and tooling and learning lighting check your local laws on what kind of licsense you need to do it. Im not familiar with canadian laws at all

5. Freshcut Lawn Care

Thanks Billy,

They were going to have us apply for licenses, however, they just ruled that as long as there are not any tie-ins, we don't need any licensing or permits for that matter.

As long as it is the 12 volt stuff and we only plug into a receptacle, we are okay!

Thanks for the support!

6. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

Check harder!!! I have a client in Montreal who is always being chased by inspectors.

7. Ambiance

Ambiance LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Your welcome Gerry.

Quebec laws may be different than Ontario. The lighting commodity group in Ontario has been dealing directly with the ESA and at this time, no permits are required.