Newer grass shields

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Feb 27, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed that on most of the newer trimmers, the grass shield is hard to use when edging. I held up an Echo 260S and a Stihl FS-85 X-treme in the eging position , and it is hard to see head of the trimmer for sidewalk edging. On only the Tanaka brand trimmers that I run, can I actually somewhat see where the line is going and iff I'm edging bad. Just wondering if anyone else is bothered by this.Do you guys just take off the shield?

2. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

We Take off shield, wear sun glasses and ear plugs.

3. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Removing safety devices can lead to a lawsuit if anybody gets hurt and your insurance company gets a whiff if what you did, plus if you take them off our local dealers wont honor the warranties. ~NaTe

4. Hobart

Hobart Banned
    from Canada!

Nate, time to find a new dealer.

5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I don't buy stuff in Toledo anymore, I drive to Bowling Green, about 20 minnutes away.~NaTe

6. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

PLOW KID is correct on the safety issue, however, by using the trimmer so that clippings and discharge are spun away from user has always worked for me. As far as voiding the warranty, I don't think the dealers around here would nullify the warranty for a safety shield but I could be wrong.(never had the need to have trimmers in for warranty work) From a practical standpoint removing the shield helps see what you are trimming better, does not bog down shield in tall, heavy or wet grass, do not tap out line as frequently because you see it better (reducing the times to replace line), and trimmer weighs a little less. Also, I quess it kind of depends on what you are trimming (rocky areas and such or just grass). If you remove shields, adjust the handle to rebalance it because of the weight removed from the front and be careful.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Try an EDGIT. It's a guide and a shield.

8. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Dont have that problem with my RedMax

9. plow kid

plow kid Banned

they gave me some bullchit story about how having longer line legnths wore out the clutches because the shield didnt cut the excess off to produce less drag, like I said, a bullschitt story, I have used weedwhips without shields and they do give you a better view of what you are doing but it does compramize safety, and I am a small buisness and cant afford a lawsuit so I wont take my chances.~NaTe

10. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I totally agree with you Plow Kid!