Newer Gravely users, any problems?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by onemilmhz, Jan 31, 2005.

1. onemilmhz

onemilmhz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

As you can see by my avatar I run a Gravely, a 252Z to be exact. As you can also see by my thread count I haven't been here long so I am sure this has been previously addressed. I searched the forums for threads about Gravelies and found a few that have had problems but nothing out of the ordinary and usually after a lot of use. Any newer Gravely users (last few years) having more issues than they'd like with their machines? The reason I ask is that we have had warranty work done over a dozen times for various problems since buying the machine new about 18 months ago. Mostly little stuff (ignition wire and seat were both replaced last week) but we did have to have the oil lines replaced a few months ago after it dumped oil all over the muffler and caught fire while mowing a yard. Our dealer always has us back up quickly but any down time no matter how short is too much if you ask me. He even contacted the Gravely rep about it the last time we had to take it in. He is supposed to call us next time the rep is in town so we can meet with him personally. All the repairs have been covered under warranty so far but isn't this a lot of problems considering the machine doesn't even have 250 hours yet? I have heard nothing but good things about Gravely but as I am relatively new to the biz they have not made a good impression on me yet.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a Woods ztr that is about 4 years old that is made by Gravely so its a lot like a 260Z. It has 553 hrs on it and we havn't had any problems other than replacing 2 plastic idler pulleys which they have now started using metal idler pulleys. Its a very good machine but I don't care for the cut. If the grass is wet it tends to clog up and clump pretty bad but it does pretty good if its dry. How well does your machine cut wet grass?

3. onemilmhz

onemilmhz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Ours has a mulching kit on it this time of year for the leaves and such and seems to do very well, wet or dry. I am extrememly happy with the performance of the machine, just not the reliability.

4. caddad

caddad LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely 1540 I bought last spring and have had it in for three problems. muffler weld broke and muffler fell off, arm switch went out of adjustment causing it to not start at times (unless you pushed real hard on the right hand steering handle) and last but not least the choke would not close all the time leading to a no start. This all has caused me to get to know my mower very well and I'm a master at running through the paces of a no start to try to help them pin point it at the dealer, however , I wish it would just run all the time and not be so touchy. Kinda wish I'd bought the Hustler I was looking out when I decided to buy this one because of price.
    :blob3:

5. TFSTech66

TFSTech66 LawnSite Member

Most of the Gravely ZTR problems have been the steering that I`ve seen come through the shop. They are great machines, just very touchy when it comes to the steering.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We have sold about 20 of the homeowner 1540 model. On last years machines, the muffler problem you describe was a common problem. Whoever made the mufflers for the engine, and I assume it was Kohler, had a design flaw that did not show up until you got a few hours on the machine. We replaced several under warranty.
    The choke not fully engaging was another minor problem that usually did not show up until the weather cooled off. The choke throw usually engaged the choke enough to start machine in warm to mild weather. However, when it got cooler, it was not engaged enough for engine to start. The repair took about 15 seconds, and involved turning a screw down a little farther to more fully engage the choke.
    The steering arm adjustment was not something we ever saw at our shop.
    Have not seen any of these problems on the 2005 machines we have sold.
    Sorry to hear wbout the problems with the 252Z. I think I might be pushing Gravely for a replacement machine if I were you. Glad to hear that your dealer is quickly getting the problems repaired for you.

7. drparet

drparet LawnSite Member

Ok, I am not sure this is the correct foru, so forgive me in advance. I have a Gravely 252Z and I need to replace the fuel tank. I ordered and received the tank, now it appears straight forward with exception of the fuel line. There is a rubber bushing that needs to be removed. Is it difficult and how is it best to do this. Please be aware that I am marginally mechically inclined and I thought to save myself the cost of labor in doing this myself. I would welcome some advice and directs to proceeed. THank you in advance.

Dean

8. Mowingman

from Texas

Did you check with your dealer about warranty on that fuel tank. Gravely had a factory service bulletin sent to dealers about some bad tanks. Not sure if your specific machine is covered or not. There was also a service notice about the fuel pickup tubes. They had a problem with the plastic tubing. It would break and the pickup would fall off into the bottom of the tank.
    you will need to buy a kit to replace that grommet, metal prong, and oickup tube. It is not easy at all to reinstall the old into the tank.
    It is somewhat hard to install the pickup assy.
    I have not done one in a couple of years since i sold my dealership. However as I recall, you take the tube and metal fitting out of the rubber grommet. Put some vasoline on the grommet and install it into the hole. Now, feed the pickup through the grommet into the tank. Put vasoline on the metal fitting and cram it into the grommet. This will swell up the grommet so it seals the hole it fits into. This is a pain, and I am sure a said a few bad words the first time or two I had to do it.
    so, this is approx how you do it. You MUST install the grommet into the hole before you install the fitting into the grommet. That is the key to this process.

9. drparet

drparet LawnSite Member

Mower Man,
    Thank you! I did a stupid man trick and punch a hole in the tank with my front end loader when parking in the barn, so it is not covered unless there is warranty for "Stupid Men Tricks". Does these items come i a kit or do I need to order them individually?

Thanks Again!

Dean

10. Mowingman

from Texas

Well, I am not sure. They were offering a kit that included a new pickup tube, the grommet, and the fitting that goes into the grommet. My guess is that you can buy it as a kit. They had one kit that fit most of their models of machines. you will have to check with your dealer about that.