Newer Lawn Sod/Seed Needs help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Laner, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple customers that have homes that were built within the last 2 years in a new development area. All the spec homes get sod in the front and seed with straw cover in the back. These lots are about 25K sq ft. The sod had been down for over a year. I know there was very little or no top soil before the sod was laid. You can still see many of the joints in the sod area and the sod is yellow with a very thin layer of thatch. The seeded area is very thin. The lawns dry out within a day of having an inch of rain. I'm thinking that the lawns really need a good watering schedule to get things going. One customer is asking for fert right away to get it looking nice (green) before they move in to the home. With the warm temps right now I suggested they start watering and continue to water the entire lawn to get it to start to green up, then this fall we can look at applying fert/lime, aerate and overseed. What do you guys suggest in this situation?

I did this to another lawn in this area last fall, but her lawn was all seed, no sod. Lawn was looking real good this spring. Could use some fertilizer, but she doesn't like to do all apps, only the weed control apps. Her lawn is a little yellow now since we haven't had any rain for over a week now, but still looks much better than it did last year.

2. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

If the lawns dry out that fast after 1 inch of rain , the ground is probably compacted and needs core aeration to help the turf accept water and nutrients - other than that , your irrigation is a good start . You need a soil test to determine fertilization needs.