1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Southernlandscape343

Southernlandscape343 LawnSite Member

I know countless people who have had the same problem with their Stihl gas caps, They won't seal or seat properly. Then when you're working Gas starts to pour out of the gas tank. This is after following all of the manufacturer's instructions. I am sure many of you have the same problem.

Just for this purpose I have created a group on Face Book
    all about Stihl's new gas cap design. Hopefully we will get a good number of people to join. Simply search "Stihl's new gas cap design" on facebook and you should see it. If not This link should also work.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146581728695341

Hope to see you all there. Joining a group based on a companies problem will certainly bring some attention to the company. Especially once the group gets more members. I will then send Stihl the link to the group, so they can see just for them selves how many unhappy Stihl owners there are out there.

Make sure to fill out the discussion board about what model you have and why you dislike the gas cap. I will be sending this to Stihl once more members join.

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking some of you guys need to have a little more understanding.
    Haven't you ever wanted to be different than everybody else? If all the other
    kids are wearing black shoes to school, don't you want to wear purple shoes? :D

3. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. While yes some people have had problems with them, they are a neat alternative to a rather flaccid fuel tank feature. I have 4 of the caps between my BP blower, trimmer, and chainsaw, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. You just have to make sure you get the notches into the proper slots and just tip the machine slightly to check for leaks before you go carrying it around. I have to wonder home many of the problems are simply user error.

4. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Let's file a class action lawsuit! Or start buying elsewhere. Stihl seems to have a "I could care less" attitude about resolving this ongoing issue of a defective cap.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I also agree. I have this cap on my saw, trimmer, and blower. As long as the notches line up with the slots the cap works awesome. Have heard of people having a hard time turning the cap on or off but I wonder if its from forcing it when not lined up correctly.

6. 2brothersyardcare

2brothersyardcare LawnSite Silver Member

there annoying i have never broken any

7. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

they suck.pure garbage. luckily they are only on my climbing saws.Everything else is Husky.Looks like Husky just came out with a good climbing saw so I can sell the Stihls.

8. Maddskill

Maddskill LawnSite Member

I have a new edger and trimmer and am having no problems with the new gas caps.

9. 06LTNox

06LTNox LawnSite Member

First time I tried to put one of those caps on I didn't do it right, since then never had a problem. Don't see what the fuss is all about.

10. michaelee2

michaelee2 LawnSite Member

Not sure why everyone has such a problem with the caps. Like they said if you line it up right it will twist right on. If it doesn't go on right you will know it right off. I just twist it off and back on and it is good. Had mine for 3 years and not really a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.