Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have screwed the old caps on, and had to find a screwdriver to get them open. So your statement is one of the dumbest ive heard.

.[/QUOTE]And im pretty sure that anyone would agree with me when i say that the new stihl gas caps are NOT user friendly..[/QUOTE]

Guess your wrong again...I, as well as others in this thread, like the new caps and think they are user friendly.:usflag:

2. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

I agree these are better caps. European based forums are not riddled with this complaint, for some reason the problems seem to be mostly in the USA.

3. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

ok just wait another season and youll see what everyones complaining about. youll be saying the same thing the rest of us are saying.

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

doubt it. i'm not a complainer. i would probably just contact my dealer and get a new cap.

but i have better things to do with my time than complain about a mistake made by a human.

5. turfmower

turfmower LawnSite Member

I haven't posted on this site in years and I found this thread in a google search. So I logged in to post that the caps suck.

6. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

haha then why do you keep on replying to this thread then......? Thank you turfmower!

7. yardguy28

have you red one complaint from me in this thread? didn't i say i wouldn't complain? thats totally different than posting how much i love the new caps and that i don't have a problem with mine.

8. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

Perhaps people try forcing the caps to go on incorrectly when they first get them. In time the caps become disfigured and difficult to either open or close. I don't understand the complaints, I never had a problem with mine and most of my machines were used commercially for a while. When you are used to the caps you quickly come to realize that they are superior to the older screw on caps. I remember when I was doing tree work back in the 80's and seeing some screw-on caps vibrating loose and spilling fuel; if this happens in a tree a groundsman could get hit with fuel. Not to mention the time wasted having to climb back out of the tree. The half moon caps close more positively and I prefer them. Keep the o-ring clean and check the triangular space on the tank mouth to be sure that the cap is on correctly, if it is your good to go.

9. yardguy28

i don't understand the complaints either. but i also don't understand the people that have been able to spell out in detail how the caps work.

i just use them. i can use them with my eyes shut. i've never read the manual that my trimmer with that cap came with. i have no idea how they are engineered. i just use it. no cleaning the o-ring or checking any triangular spaces. put it on the tank mouth turn it and flip it down and i'm on my way.

10. BREMER4

BREMER4 LawnSite Member

As a current Stihl dealer we have also been disgusted with the new gas and oil caps, but they seem to be here to stay and Stihl HAS warrantied every broken, damaged, etc cap so far, even ones outside of warranty. Also we were just informed today by our TSM that Stihl has recognized the problems and has made changes to current distributor inventory and all future inventory, including changes to all replacement caps.....for what it's worth
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.