Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to get a few replacement caps. It seem that they are hardest to get off when the weather is hot. Really hard to flip up the latch sometimes.

2. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

Well, lol... Sometimes one must try to explain what is for many of us common sense or second nature. I am just trying to figure out what could possibly be the problem for apparently so many. Looking at the cap I could only imagine that there would be a problem if one were to force it closed the wrong way. I too have no problem with these caps and can close them without looking at them. You can feel when they are closed. As I said before I do not see or here of complaints in Europe where they sell an awful lot of Stihl products.

3. dgfitz

dgfitz LawnSite Member

I have read this topic for a few years and thought some people just did not
    understand how to read directions, untill just this afternoon, and I had
    the same problem of sticking and not wanting to come off properly,as
    in twenty minutes of extreme displeasure in taking off a simple fuel cap.
    Yeah, now there is a problem.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I explained what I think is an engineering or manufacturing ptoblem. Your claims that no one in Europe is having any problem leads me to believe that it must be a manufacturing problem here in the States. Are the machines that you use manufactured here in the States or in Germany?

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm not trying to ask a stupid question but aren't all stihl products manufactured in the same place?

i seriously don't know. i thought wherever the product was from is where it was manufactured and then shipped all over the world.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Stihl machines we use here are, for the most part, maunfactured here. Mahle makes the castings and Stihl makes the plastics in Virginia Beach or somewhere real close to there. Then the the machines are assembled there in VB.

7. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned

I have to say I didn't read the whole thread, but yes, the gas caps are a PITA. I have them on all of my hand tools and sometimes it is tedious to get them back on. It is all about the user, but they are not very user friendly. I have never had any issues with breakage or leakage from the caps. Good design, bad implementation. I hate them, but love the rest of the tool.

8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I think he is correct. I sent an email to Stihl complaining about my caps. They sent me a little pack of replacements with a nice letter. The new caps look like they have slightly smaller "little triangles", and they go on a little easier.

9. 3Bladz

3Bladz LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have 22 pieces of stihl equipment with this style of cap. I have had trouble with 4 caps. 2 of them wouldnt latch properly from the time they were new, a new cap fixed both of these. The other 2 came apart.

10. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Guys guys!!! 9 or 10 pages of complains here and I saw threads like this in the pass of the same topic.

Why don't you guys arrange and write a patition to Stihl and threaten to change brand if they don't do something. That would be more productive than spend the time gribbing here!!!

:waving:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.