Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i haven't had any trouble with "the cap"

2. THSG

THSG LawnSite Member

were in the same boat :drinkup:

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats, but owners of these machines fit into two classes. Those who have had lots of trouble and frustration with the caps, and those who will some day.

4. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Talked to my local Stihl technician today about these caps again and he related something new that I had not heard before. The caps have been redesigned because of ethanol and it's effect on the plastic the caps were originally made from. According to him, the plastic would swell and create the problems of just getting the caps off the equipment (my experience exactly). The new caps are supposed to solve the problem. I have tried spraying the cap, once it's out, with Fluid Film with some success. He replaced one cap the last time I had my trimmer in for repair with a new cap and haven't had a problem since with that one. Hopefully they have fixed the problem for good!!

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer tried the same B.S. excuse on me too. In Maryland we didn't have ethanol in the gas when I was having this problem with my BR600. We were using MTBE as an oxygenate instead. They are 2 completely different compounds.

6. Daveyjane

Daveyjane LawnSite Member

i'm tired of the caps, new and old, and just went out looking for generic replacements for my stihl stuff. My BR400 has an interesting work around. I found a cap that fits, and supplies a vent, and comes on and off like a cap should, no tools, no leaks.
    So here goes, its an airsoft BB bottle cap. looks like a catsup cap from a restaurant, and the bottle i used held 2000 pellets. The cap is meant to pour out the bb's into the receptacle, and this supplies the vent. i stuff the cap with cotton or other fiber that is fuel proof, that provides the breathing. The cap just screws onto my BR400 with the threads. One can also put a wire thru the BB hole and place a T on it and put this in the tank, then the cap can't be lost. Red ones are easier to find if you lose one. Will attempt to put a pic up of the bottle i used. Good luck with you Stihl fuel caps.

airsoft bb pellets bottle 2000 pieces.jpg

Products2890-1200x1800-163017.jpg

7. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

I think it moved

[​IMG]

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, going along with the last pic/post made, I think we can agree that it is safe to say this thread has run its course

so, I'll close it down for now...thanks :waving:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.