Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know but I like it and havent had a problem and usually if it is something aggravating like yall described it would be tearing me a new one. I thought they were good caps but what do I know?

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

What DEFICTIVE cap??? Works great if u pay attention to what your doing. I do agree they are not the best design, but there far from defictive.

Oh ...good luck with your class action lawsuit on a cap that works as designed.....:hammerhead::hammerhead:

3. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, then I guess YOURS isn't defective.
    If I only owned my KM-110R, I'd have the same question as you, as that cap works just fine, but my BR-500 is a totally different beast, and that cap is a fight every time IF you even get it closed (sometimes it will look good, but still leak gas all over you).

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

every once in a while they give me trouble closing tight but for the most part its not a problem

5. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had any trouble with them. I guess if you try and force it when you haven't lined it up right then you will have a problem. They work fine as long as you aren't in a hurry. Just line them up correct, and they go. I have one on my BR 600, and have used others on other machines many times, and they all were problem free.

6. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

i bought 2 new Sthil caps; beeatch putting them on & taking them off. I got 4 sthil chainsaws. tried the new caps on each one of them & made sure to line them up, same problem. new caps $uck big time! Went back to the dealer and told HIM to show me how to do it-HE HAD PROBLEMS!!! He went in the back & pulled a couple of caps off old throwaways & gave them to me. No more problems.

7. Differential

Differential LawnSite Member

I actually like them. You have to pay attention when screwing them on, but I feel like they're more secure.

I have the HS 45 hedgetrimmers and the bg55 blower with the older gas cap, and transport them in the cab of my truck. I've had the older style come loose and leak in the truck before.

Maybe I'm the oddball, but I like the new design.

8. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I was having problems with them and decided to make a different face, hold my tounge differently and bite my lower lip and not swear as much. Now they only mess up half the time. All my hand helds are Stihl. Other than the caps they are great. I just have learned to live with them. I have read lots of post on them. Do a search here and you will find page after page of complaints and fixes. If they get bad enough I will just go get more of the same caps untill they go bad again.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree the caps are not a good design. Takes 3-4 twists and a good HARD push in to get it to seat correctly. I am scared that gas is going to leak out on my lawns sometimes, without me knowing it (until you see the round brown spots).

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

They suck. I have learned to live with them. But I have learned to live with jock-itch, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.