1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

I have to wonder if either the caps or the tank quality control is not consistent. I have 2 MS260 pros and one of them is always a bear to get the caps on.

It sucks to be walking around and look down and have a full tank of bar oil dripping down your chaps.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is a problem and I have identified it and found a fix. If you have any trouble at all either putting the cap in or pulling it out then you will have trouble getting it to close correctly. The cap should move in and out of the tank neck without dragging.

If it drags do this. Remove the cap and look at the 3 locking tabs on the bottom of the cap. Right above each locking tab is a locator tab that locates the cap in the tank neck. They're longer than the locking tabs. Take a flat file and file the locator tabs down until you can easily put the cap in and take it back out.

My caps work fine now that I've "clearenced" them.

You shouldn't have any more problems with the cap unless you somehow get the cap turned to the closed position when it should be open.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking it's the caps because I've seen several accounts of the problem being fixed by merely changing the cap.

4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine worked fine when I bought them and about 6 months ago started getting finicky...than about 2 weeks ago I had a problem every time I went to use them.

Replaced all my caps and they work perfectly.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

if stihl ever goes back to the other style of caps i will then start a face book page for all those who do like the new caps and have no problems with them. then show it to the company so they can start making the equipment with the new caps again.......

6. TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57 LawnSite Member

Usually only have a problem once :) Then more careful and align the caps properly and they work.

7. TreeClimber57

TreeClimber57 LawnSite Member

Maybe a dumb question.. but is that even possible.

8. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

They suck, the old caps were just fine. Never had a problem on the old saws and my hand held blowers. Just today, yes the cap was on right but it didnt tighten down right. had to make about 3 attemps to get it on and my son has the same trouble. somedays they give no trouble then somedays they suck. And just how are you suppose to keep the dirt out? I dont care if it was ol man Stihl who came up with it, if he worked for me he'd be looking for a new job!!!!!

9. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, like a few other guys, I don't mind the caps, It's nice on by bp blower that the cap doesn't touch the ground and get dirty or lost. I think it's almost easier than a regular cap to work, but maybe it's just me, I haven't had much experience with the cap, only a few fill ups though.

10. MrRob

MrRob LawnSite Member

thats a way to weed out the new guys! if they can use the gas caps, they stay. if they cant, they need to find another job!

its common sense guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.