Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The cap is only a problem on my BR600, my KM130 never has the same problem, I'm going to clearance my cap tomorrow as Richard suggests and see how it does.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Please report back when you do. As far as I know only one other person has done my fix and they too have reported success with fixing the cap.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. When you turn the cap to lock it down the locking tabs only turn about 1/16 of a turn. Then the whole bottom of the cap stops turning while the top portion (the part you've got ahold of) continues to turn until it stops. Then you flip the locking lever down.

When you take the cap off you have to be careful that you rotate the top portion all of the way before pulling the cap out of the filler neck. If the bottom isn't turned all of the way to the open position then the cap acts all goofy when you try to reinstall it.

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have problems with the caps on both my Stihl FS-90's. I talked to my dealer and he actually told me that he had the same issue. A few times they sent trimmers out the door and customers complained because they leaked gas all over the place on the way home.

It was a bad idea. According to my dealer the feedback Stihl has gotten on the caps is terrible. Yet they continue to use them. Its almost like they are trying to spite their customers. Im not asking that they recall anything. Just start using the old caps and tanks on future production.

If you guys really want to get something done about this, dont complain to Stihl. Complain to the EPA. Im sure they would love to hear about trimmer tanks that dump 2 cycle gas everywhere.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Are you kidding.....just change to another trimmer/blower manufacturer. I have never seen so much crying about a product yet everybody comes out and recommends these units:hammerhead:

6. Heintooga

Heintooga LawnSite Member

I switched from Stihl to Redmax trimmer/blower and Husqvarna saws. Life is better, now!

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im not bashing Stihl. I like Stihl. I just hate the new gas caps.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

stihl is recommended because stihl is awesome. they build a great product. all my hand helds are stihl. always have been and always will.

9. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

Good to know! That means more real equipment on the shelves when I need it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I had to do as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.