Newer model Stihl gas caps, A real Problem!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southernlandscape343, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbradio

cbradio LawnSite Member

New caps just came out of production. The dealership I just left was getting an order of the new caps from Stihl before I left.

2. mictrik

mictrik LawnSite Member

I have an MS-360 Pro and a FS-90 and have never had an issue with the cap... I think they use the same caps in Europe, I wonder if people are complaining there too?

3. Wizz

Wizz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I heard the same. The caps (the ones made ~1.5 yrs ago) are pure junk. Looks like their engineering department was bored and tried to fix something that wasn't broken. I was forced to buy Husqy power equipment recently b/c I refuse to deal with the horribly designed Stihl caps. I can't believe they let something so flawed into production. And there is something DEFINITELY wrong with the caps...that's why they came out with a replacement.

4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else notice the problems worse in warmer weather? Days its over 85 seems like my problem caps are the worst, now that its cooled off a bit they're working better. Only 2 of about 8 of my caps have any problems though.

5. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I've always disliked these caps, I just make sure to pay attention when I take them off and make sure to put it on the same way XD, i've fiddled with mine before for a good 10 minutes.

6. alteeter

alteeter LawnSite Member

I bought a fs90r spring of 09. late spring/early summer this year my cap became almost impossible to get off and a pain (at best) to put back on. I had to get supplies and told my stihl dealer (only use stihl) about the problem and not more than a week later I had a new cap on the machine that works great. The mechanic told me that if you ever put the caps on and they are even a little "off" of the mark (notches you line up) you can end up "spreading" the cap apart causing all the grief we've all been through. I dont understand why you cant just call your dealer for a new cap??? I love my stihl dealer and wont use anything else for trimmers, blowers and edgers.

7. grassdude

grassdude LawnSite Member

I fired off a fairly colorful email to the factory yesterday, expressing my concern for the dang things and they responded to me today that they are going to send me the new improved version caps. Might want to try that and see if they will send you some. Include your model numbers.

8. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

i couldnt agree more with you. my 110 is good but it takes 10 min. or more to get the cap on some times i just grab my remax so i dont have to deal with the cap

9. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

There is no Stihl rep on lawnsite?

10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is a rep they are in hidding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.