Newly laid SOD, please help.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rmwensel, Jun 11, 2010.

1. rmwensel

rmwensel LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, first time user here.

I just had SOD installed 2 weeks ago from today. I had a contractor install the SOD. He came in prior to laying the SOD and tiled (3-4 inches) and composed the areas that would be receiving SOD.

I've never been a grass guy so I can't tell you exactly what type of grass it is. I'm assuming it is a tall fescue grass. The SOD was grown by http://www.woodwardturf.com/.

Anyways, I am starting to worry about the grass in certain areas where it seems to be drying out. The first week the SOD was in I was trying to lay at least an inch a day, or determined by moisture of the soil beneath the SOD. These areas started appearing towards the second week of growth. I tried pulling on the SOD and it seems to be well rooted. It sounds very dry walking on it. These areas have been getting water just as much as the other areas of the yard. I have been trying my best to keep it water and moist. The weather here in VA has been in the 90's the past 2 weeks, with a couple of cooler days.

What is going on and what can I do to repair these areas? Is this grass lacking water, nutrients, diseased?

And secondly, I don't know much about weeds. I'm starting to see some lighter green stuff pop in, is this crab grass? If so, what can be done about it. I know you can't really use any kind of weed control on new SOD for at least a year (or that is what I've read on several websites).

I'm sorry if I haven't laid out enough information, but I can only tell you what I know (or think I know).

Here are pictures of the lawn bellow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Some spots it's already dead! Have you been watering 3 times a day?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Water water water

4. rmwensel

rmwensel LawnSite Member

I was watering it in the morning and mid evening. I 've been using a Orbit 360 sprinkler on a tripod. Each area I moved the sprinkler would get a 30 minute watering session. During the peak of the day, the corner area is pounded by the sun. I usually tried focusing on that spot once I seen it has been looking a little sick.

5. ajslands

You gotta water more than 30 minutes! Water it for like an hour or so and water it at like 4 or 5 am
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Was the sod rolled after it was installed? To remove air pockets you need to roll the sod.
    Also deep watering is better than frequent watering. Grass if it can get enough water will stay rooted in the soil it started in and was transported in. You deep water to force the roots to grow into the new soil under it. Too frequent watering will allow the roots to stay right in the transport media.

Your new green growth looks a whole lot like your neighbors light green growth.

7. rmwensel

rmwensel LawnSite Member

Ok, for the areas that look dead, what can I do to repair them? :)

Unfortunately I've only been home to water the lawn because I am on medical leave for work. I will be returning in 1 week (week 4 for the SOD). Will it still require intensive watering? Once I return to work, I would only be able to water it in the late evening time unless I get a timer. The problem about that is, the water pressure in my town isn't too good. I have to move the sprinkler around about 5-6 times to cover everything. Running links and multiple sprinklers probably wouldn't work well.

The guy who laid the sod said the the first week, once a day in the evening for about an hour would be fine, and every other day afterwards, and less frequent as the weeks go buy. Of course I read online on many places that the first week required more than once a day watering, which I tried doing. How much more time do I need to be paranoid about the SOD dying out?

8. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Water water water, especially when it is 90 out in the summer time. An hour a day is not enough. The areas that are brown will come back with enough water.

Go to Lowes and buy a digital timer that will come on twice a day and set it for 2 hours at a time. When the grass greens up again you will be good to go. If you get a good rotating sprinkler you can set it up right where the hose is in the one picture on that corner, and have it hit the side, the whole front and probably it will reach across the driveway to the other side too if you get a good one.

Even the grass that is semi green along the side of the house is starving for water, you can tell by the color. It is a few hot days away from drying out like the other bad spots.

Also when you have neghbors with terrible grass and weed liek that sone on the left, that stuff will try to creep in to your lawn especially when you get dry conditions. That is why you have some clumps here and there trying to pop up of the light green, weed love dry hot hard compacted soil conditions.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  9. rmwensel

rmwensel LawnSite Member

Guys, I appreciate the quick responses!

I will try to keep more water on it. I am home for 1 more week. Hopefully that will help it out. The sprinkler I have is pretty good, it's the water pressure that makes it hard.

Also, when should I aerate?

10. ajslands

Aerate in like November or October and in April.
    Posted via Mobile Device