Newly planted lawn came in strong then just stopped growing.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mrusk, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I seeded a lawn about 5 weeks ago. We installed about 5 inches of top soil. We had the irrigation hit it 3 times a day for 6 minutes each time. For the first 3 weeks it came in strong. For the last 2, it has no grown at all.

What should i do. I used the same seed, from the same supplier i always use. I have never had this issue before. Do i hit it up with starter fert again?

Please give me some good advice!

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

fertilize it again. Is it still green? Keep watering regardless. I water mine 2 times a day for 30 minutes each.

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

you should have gone out with a slow release or another round of starter fert three to four weeks after seeding. New plants need more nurients

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Water is the main issue. You have to water an hour or two to get a inch of water. If you used a good starter fertlizer it should last at least 8 weeks, i use 18-24-12. I would say not enough water.
    mike

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Exactly...18 mins a day isn't good enough with this dry weather this year on the east coast.....just bump up the time to 25 mins, 3 times a day.....I would also spread more starter fert out as well.....

6. mrusk

Did both today.

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

That should be the cure.....I have been over-seeding for the last two weeks with Rye Grass, and a few of the lawns I seeded last week are already springing up.....

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Not to start a debate but don't you have to be licensed even just to put down regular good ol fert in any application?

I know its minor, but just asking.

9. mrusk

To the best of my knowledge its ok to do fert just not anything that kills weeds. Like weed and feed, round up, etc.

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Hit it with ammonium nitrate and water it in. The customer and a few neighbors will think you are a genius.