1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newly seeded has yellow areas

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cross1933, Oct 7, 2007.

1. cross1933

cross1933 LawnSite Member

I recently seeded my yard, Labor Day Weekend, with a Great lakes Premium mix from lesoco. I have areas where the grass is yellow/green. What could be the cause for color variations, is there a remedy?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a female dog?
    They tend to do this to the turf wherever they go, the spots are tell tale thou, it eventually wears off.
  3. cross1933

Yes, but the areas are larger(20'X20' for example) than what I would expect to see from a dog urine. I don not think the dog has been in the backyard area that was replanted. Is there another possibility?
  4. cross1933

The major areas are in a circular patter around my sprinklers. I purchased some pulsating sprinklers, with spikes on the bottom, and attached them to some black plastic tomato spikes that I pounded in the ground. The sprinkles sit about 3' above the ground level.
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

This time of year, a lawn fungus commonly called rust is very prevalent in new lawns. Walk thru the yellow areas when the grass is dry, then check your shoes. If there is a yellow/orange dust on them, you have rust. If this is not the case, maybe you are overwatering.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It definitely sounds like rust. Don't be surprised if you have some next year, either...as this is quite common in first year planted turf grasses.
  7. cross1933

The winner is "Rust". How can I treat this on a newly seeded, 1 month old, lawn?
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You don't bother with it. It will grow out. You DO want to re-feed your new grass, though.
  9. cross1933

I did some reseed and applied some starter fertilizer yesterday.
  10. TexRob

TexRob LawnSite Member

I'm confused, this sounds like a Nitrogen deficiency, no? All I've read says that about 6 weeks after seeding you need to put down a Nitrogen rich fertilizer because it will turn yellow if you don't. You guys know more than me I'm sure, but just adding what I've read.