Newly Seeded Lawm

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snap12.5, Jul 7, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I seeded a lawn about 4-5 weeks ago and the customer just called to tell me that the grass is not coming up that well and there are a few bare patches and also that there are a lot of weeds. They said they have been watering frequently as well. This is the first time that I have seeded a lawn and it hasnt done well so I am not sure what to do. I stand behind my work but was wondering if I should charge them to fill in the bare patches and pull out weeds??? Or should this be done at no charge??? What would u do in this situation. Thanks

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Need more info. What variety of seed? What was done for prep? Was soil analysis done? Was fert applied? Who was responsible for watering and how often each day was it done? etc.

3. Peconic Brothers

Peconic Brothers LawnSite Member

We seed a lot of lawns and we never go back to pick weeds out of the lawn for nothing. There are a lot of variables that were mentioned that will determine your level of success. During the summer, some weeds in a newly seeded lawn are to be expected. You'll take care of them in the fall with an overseed and some liquid weed control.

4. snap12.5

from Ohio

Seed - Mix of rye and bluegrass - quality blend around $3/lb.
    The entire area was sprayed with round up to kill brush, weeds etc. 3 weeks after that the area was tilled, graded, seeded and straw was applied.
    No fertilizer put down yet. Customer was responsible for watering and was supposed to do so every day but who knows?

I think most of the weeds came from the straw. Is there any way to kill weed seeds in straw before spreading it over a seeded lawn???

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

NEVER USE STRAW!!! Use Lesco Seed Starter Penn Mulch or other similar product.. Using straw is asking for 1000's of weeds to come up..

6. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Gonna have a tough time getting anything up in a hurry with the weather we have been having. My bet would be to get over to the home this weekend or monday and overseed with some annual rye. Also, go someplace you aren't paying $3/lb. We are gonna get a good soaker from Dennis come tuesday and some lower temps along with that. That will help that annual jump right up and shut the client up for a while. You will have to overseed again around Labor Day but you should be alright.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well,I would say that if the customer is not happy and called about it then you need to stand behind your work yes.
    If it is not coming in well,and is thin and has bare spots and the weeds are taking over,then I would venture to say you mabey used a low quality seed and did not seed thick enough or did not use your spreader right,if you did use good seed and feel you seeded correctly,then the problem lies in your preparation,did you remove 90%of the debri on top?Did you amend the soil?Did you rake it out real good?Did you cover it with a topper to keep the birds from eating it and the wind from blowing it?Did you put down the seed on a firm rolled base?
    Are your customers watering it with a sprinkler or rainbird that has displaced the seed?
    Have they washed the seed away in places?
    Have they let dogs or kids run all over it?

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately, straw contains quite a few weeds and should not be used to establish turf. Also, a soil test should have been done to establish correct fert needs and a suitable starter fert should have been applied. I never use rye in a seed blend. I use only 100% KY Blue, with at least 4 of the top performing seed varieties. Also, the watering is very crucial and it sounds as if the homeowner has to bear some responsibility for not properly keeping the seed bed moist. If I'm seeding a lawn, I'll set the controller to come on several times during the day for just a few minutes per zone. I always have grass germinating in less than 10 days and often in less than 7 days. In your situation, I would just overseed the bare spots for now. Later in the fall, you can deal with the weeds with a selective herbicide.

9. snap12.5

from Ohio

Thanks for the replies.
    I checked the lesco website and did not find info on the penn mulch. What is it and how do u apply. Is it the blue/green granules that u lay down and water to allow it to expand and cover the ground??? Thanks

10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Snap
    I work almost the same region/area as you, #1 look at the soil and you can tell if they have been watering as they should have. [You should have given them watering insructions and have them sign a copy for your records] I'll bet you 10-1 that the problem is lack of water. Weeds grow well with very little moisture grass does not! As far as using straw its worked great for me for a 30 yrs. The grass should germinate and crowd out any weeds that would germinate that might be in the straw. You should be using "clean" straw though. If its lack of water its not your responsability and I would check in the middle of the day when its hot and dry out and see how far down the ground is moist, take a pic and point it out to your customer. Then I would offer to slice seed the area free if they were resonable or charge them for only seed. If they were jerks I would tell them it can be corrected but there will be an additional cost. You can't guarentee a new lawn unless they have irrigation, so Upsell the idea of both