1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newly sodded lawn customer

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Carolina Cutter, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I just signed up a customer for a yearly agreement and the yard had been sodded. I think the sod was laid around the end of Janurary. The sod is a beautiful green and looks like it is really taking nicely. It still has gaps where it has yet to fill in but it is on its way.

Gonna be using my 36" metro on this one.....I know I have to be careful and most likely make 3 pt turns to protect the sod but are there any other things you can recommend that I should do to "be easy" on the sod till it gets really "bonded" in the summer? Oh and no velke will be used till this lawn is strong...gonna have to walk this one.....good thing its small.
  2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Try tugging on the sod. If it won't budge it's a good sign the roots are well on their way to establishment. Maybe use a 21" for the first cut or two to be safe.
    PS, there really should be no gaps, unless the sod isn't rooted at all and the pieces shrank with the cold/dry, but even so it's a little strange.

One thing I hate about new sod lawns is that it's at its best and then can only lose aesthetic quaility without a customer dedicated to keeping it maintained ($$$!!!). On the other hand, no weeds so it's easy to keep up with that.