Newpaper Ads? Do they Work for You?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dogbonz, May 10, 2005.

1. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys,,, I'm starting up my lco part time this year with a goal of 10 accounts! I'm 38 and a new Stay at Home Dad! The Wife works full time with the best benefits in the world. I plan on mowing in the evenings and Saturdays part time, I got one account from a flyer at the grocery store, but my new Newspaper ad just came out today,,,, How has Newsprint ads worked for you guys? Hit?? or Miss?? hopefully the links work,,, pics of my new ad and ,my biz card! :)

REsized ad.JPG

resized card.JPG

2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Mostly been a miss for me, however I am in a relatively small city. Shirts, business cards, and truck logos have been working O.K. Just got the shirts last week and had 3 people stop and ask me about lawn service. If u go with shirts make sure they are hi visibility. Ours are bright florescent green. The best form of advertisement by far is word of mouth. Do a good job at a fair price and word gets around.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You might want to back off using that sologan "We work hard so you don't have to" esp in print ad's as one of the Fortune 500 Companies has that Trademarked (TM).

4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ran mine for two months, $65.00 per month, got 1 call, picked up this guy for weekly service.....he died 3 weeks ago ;) Pulled my ad......it wasn't working here!

5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to back off using that sologan "We work hard so you don't have to" esp in print ad's as one of the Fortune 500 Companies has that Trademarked (TM).

Point taken! Thanx,,,Im in a REALLY small town but I guess im not to far from Midland (Dow) I did take that line out of my flyer and replaced it with "Quality Service at a Price You Can Afford" I was going to do my 1 account today woke up it was raining,, checke Weather.com only to see a storm the size of Michigan just starting to get here and going all the way back to wisconsin! =( theres allways tommorrow

6. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

All I got where a few calls outside of my cutting area. When I advertise I hit a target area where I already have established accounts. With gas prices the way they are, it really isn't worth it for me to drive several miles to service on account. If I do, by chance take on an account that requires a lot of drive time, you better believe I will be out there advertising and bulking up near that account.

7. joshlawn

joshlawn LawnSite Member

I spent $175 on a 30 day stent in my local paper, and still haven't recieved a single call after 20 days. My best results have been from Flyers, going door to door and word of mouth.

8. Anthony-MB

Anthony-MB LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Most of my customers came from ads in newspaper.
    This is the first year a started sending out postcards to select areas

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi Dogbonzm,

Your newspaper ad looks nice. If you need flyer ideas, feel free to download any of our templates here.

10. Cimarron Landscape

Cimarron Landscape LawnSite Member

I guess it really depends on your area.
    I haven't had good results doing flyers. I don't have a whole bunch of time to walk around anyway. I advertised in the paper in the beginning of April. I've already had more than 10 calls, the majority have been followed by getting the bid. I'd say the newspaper works. One reason may be I'm in a small town. There isn't a whole bunch of competition advertising, so it works pretty well. When advertising in the paper, go with as much as you can afford. Most of the guys in my area do cheap 1x2 ads. I went with a more expensive slot in the business guide. I believe I recieve more calls as a result.
    Just my $.02.
    ~Brian