1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newpaper ads worth the $$$???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Carolina Cuts, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious if running a newspaper ad... say 3x3 color... was worth the investment???

2. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I'll let you know shortly. We have our 1st newspaper ad coming out this Thursday. It'll will go out to 37,000 homes so we are hoping for a bunch of calls. Our ad is that exact size (3" x 3") but not in color.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I usually just run a simple 3 line ad in the service directory for services other than mowing. I usually have fair results. Sorry, but I can't comment on the 3" X 3" ad. They run about $300 here for 31 days.

4. Carolina Cuts

I got a price of $23.25/week... 13 week minimum. This is in a paper that DOESN'T get delivered, but everyone still buys at the local gas stations and service stores. 3.25x2.25 color ad located in the 'business connection' of the newspaper.

5. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

tried a large color add up here last spring, got the same amount of feedback off our three line service add the year previous. :dizzy: :dizzy:

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you at and what paper is that????? I have never seen anything in my area for that cheap. Jeez.....just a three line classified runs about $60 for 7 days! Fill me in.

7. Carolina Cuts

ugh... now I'm hoping she quoted me the right price... I was pretty specific when I told her what I wanted (like the other ads)

The News Reporter... Columbus county area. It's a local paper. There is a section on the back... 10-12 ads full color 3x2 under 'business connection'

now I'm hoping she didn't mis quote me....

*on the phone*

8. Carolina Cuts

well, she verified it... full color ad 3.25x2.25 ...$23.25/week (13 weeks) it's delivered twice a week to 10,000 residents/stores... you pick the day you want it delivered...

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure that is right for that small of a circulation and area (also not sure with that small a number that it is worth the cost).

Here that same ad would cost me in color about $1000.00-$1500.00 to run it one time! Course the paper heres circulation is probably 300,000+ too though

10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a 2.5" X 3" add a few years ago, I got a few calls from it. It was not color though.