1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

News about water restrictions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Mar 29, 2002.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I was getting concerned about the situation with the water restrictions. I mean......having all of this free time this summer on account of no watering the grass = no growing= no cutting, if there is no rain. Having all of this free time I was hoping to be able to play tennis on a clay court all summer long.....but what if the court can't be watered and I can't play on it because of the water restricions.... Ohhh. Thank GOD that the water restrictions allow for the watering of clay tennis courts DAILY !!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS !

The following is from the DEP Adminastrative order 2002-5 on water restrictions this summer :

C. Watering of clay tennis courts is permitted, using sprinklers or hand-held watering devices, provided that watering occurs for no more than 10 minutes per day, between 8:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M. and/or between 12:00 noon and 3:00 P.M.

Can't water the grass, but a clay field is okay !

:eek: jeffyr:eek:
  2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

will a golf course without its own supply of water (IE: lake or pond) be allowed to water? not necessarly the entire course, but mainly some fairways, and especially putting greens?

just wondering, kevin
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry...but if I remember right, we all drink from the same trough. Can't understand how someone will allow watering of tennis courts when there is a drought in effect.

Hello...guess I'm missin' something somewhere.
  4. rodfather

Then again...i never thought the DEP was the brightest crayon in the box, sharpest tool in the shed, had an elevator that went up to the top floor, and so on...

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

so, what your saying is that the DEP is a few fries short of a happy meal. :)
  7. rodfather

Kind of like a few bricks short of a full load
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Not the sharpest knife in the draw :)

9. point

point LawnSite Member
    from mn

The gallon's used to water all the clay tennis courts for 10 minutes a day is
    statistically insignificant compared to watering millions of square feet of turf for hours.
  10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

But is it necessary and is it good use of water during a restricted time ? The grass in my backyard is smaller than a tennis court and I think that 70 minutes of water per week (10 minutes per day over the course of a week) would keep it growing well throughout the dryest times around here.
    I didn't mention this in the original post, but emergency vehicle (firetrucks, ambulance) can be washed (I am pretty sure without exception). Now I realize that there must be a level of cleanliness with an emergency vehicle, but again, this is called a restriction because of a water shortage. Is it necessary that the truck shine when it pulls up to a burning building ?
    1 good suggestion the DEP had was for the repair of a pool that needs to be partially drained--call the local fire department or DPW and see if they can use the water in a truck or tank for municipal use.

BTW Point : you wouldn't be a tennis advocate, would you ? :eek: