News Letters to your Customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelawnguy, Oct 21, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Id be interested in seeing what if any you guys do for newsletters. Im toying with the idea of a seasonal (4x/yr) newsletter to my customers to keep them abreast of whats to come, whats expected, etc and am looking for ideas. And comments.

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have been doing news letters for 3 yr. now.
    i use a company out of wesconson. they make a master up with your logo for 45.00 and i make copys.
    anthony

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Bill, when I was in CT, we used a newsletter that was very effective. We'd do it quarterly, but it was a quality newsletter. I put services that I would be offering the next quarter and explain them in easy to understand ways, (de-thatching, aerating, different fert apps, landscaping) If I had a real nice landscape job, I'd feature it and give address, etc to go check it out, You can throw a joke or funny picture or something to keep intrest, I would advertise for my families other business' with coupons. The possibilities are endless. Frequently asked questions is one I think I'd put in there now.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

I've wanted to publish a newsletter for a while now, but have been unable to as of yet. I want to be able to communicate with my customers without a hard sell approach and I think a 4x per year newsletter is a good idea. My goals were to put some pictures in and expose customers to what they could expect from us. We don't always have the time to tell everyone the full range of services that are offered, and maybe lose some potential work because of it. I also thought it would be a way to highlight some of the employees, maybe employee of the month, or quarter, etc. I also wanted to be able to bring up some of the seasonal items that might interest people - for instance we sell products too, so maybe people might come to my store to purchase shovels or icemelt in the off season...

Now you've got me thinking Bill!!

5. Rodney Anderson

Rodney Anderson LawnSite Member

Lawnguy this may sound a bit corny but I leave a news latter every application that I publish myself on my computer. I am in the chemical application end of lawn care.
    I leave such info as to what to look for in turf insects, mowing height,landscape tips and recommendations. New products in the market place for lawns and gardens.
    The weirdest thing I do is leave a new recipe with my accounts. Not only do I love taking care of lawns I love to cook. I've been laeving recipes for 8 years now and beleive it or not if I forget to leave one I will get a call.
    My account numbering over 500 are almost like friends to me. Most of them I have had for 12 to 15 years and their
    news letter is (always) different. It gives a tool over others that real personal touch.

6. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Great idea! I have thought about using mailings or newletters. I had a tremendous response to a door to door flyer delivered to new, old, and potential customers. It was in a newsletter format with tips, hints, services etc. Inexpensive vs postage to mail to all customers. I think anything that gets your message out with a personal touch is good.

7. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I thought a news letter would be great thing not only for your customers but for new customers also. If anyone has any samples they wouold be willing to send me I would really appricate it. Chrisbolte@aol.com

8. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

perhaps it would be possible to leave a small stack at a gas station or sub shopyou frequent and know the owner maybe even a supermarket there are home improvement and garden shows at the fairgrounds Ive thought of putting some under wiper blades