1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

News on the availability of the Exmark 26" Metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Apr 25, 2005.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got off the phone with Exmark. Production on the Metro 26 just began today due to delays in the availabilty of a spring and steel. They can produce 200 units a day and already have orders for 7 000. The unit will not get up here to Canada until May 10th or so. People in the U.S may have better luck.

The exmark rep also told me some nice info on the machine:
    1. The design is based on the old John Deere JX85.
    2. It goes somewhat faster than the proline/metro 21"
    3. Toro will allow them 2 years to market the 26" mower exclusively. Thus, don't expect them to make one until 2007.
    4. They are very confident that it will mulch well as they field tested the unit in Florida and California and found it to mulch well. However, he did say not to expect miracles if the grass is overgrown or extremely wet. No mower can mulch in those conditions.
    5. Because the engine is not directly driving the blade and is set at 3600 rpm, they are very confident that the power will be sufficient for bagging and mulching.
    6. They did initially look at putting either a 9 hp kawasaki or 8 hp honda on it but such an engine would increase the weight by 30 lbs or so. Keeping the mower looking like a 21" would not have been feasible since it would not be able to handle the weight. They then would have had to look at designing the unit in the form of a mid size walk behind which is not what they wanted.
    7. Most of the demand for the unit is coming from Canada and not the U.S.

All in all, it seems like a promising machine. I am frustrated with the delays, however.
  2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You are a Lamb going to the Slaughter...

4. Grass Conditions in the Southern States are Wimpy compared to the Type of Growth Spurts Seen during April-May June in the Northern States and Canada...

5. The engine Directly Driving the Blade Gives More Power than a Belt to Blade Not Less....I Have all My 6hp Kaws Set @ 3600 on the 21"'s...This Does Nont Increase Tourque Which is the Only Thing that Matters When you Hit Lush Growth When Mulching...The Increased RPM Only Increases Blade Tip Speed.

6. You Will see a Bigger Engine Soon.
  3. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I will wait until others try them out, before I consider one!

The experiences shared by most of you is extremely valuable to me...especially more than the sales rep!
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is based on a JD, JX 85, then it will be a loser for sure. JD quit making that mower because warranty costs were eliminating any profit they could make off of it.
  5. scott7772

scott7772 LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I'm beginning to wonder what the truth really is? I call Exmark about every 3 days just to see what kind of conflicting stories i get. I called a couple of weeks ago and was told they were starting production that week and the distributers would be getting them a few days later. Then I called last week and was told they started production that day. I called a few days later and was told they had started production that week. I spoke with my dealer this past weekend and he told me the main rep for the distributer said, the dealers would have them this week. Then I called Exmark today and they said they have some sitting in their wherhouse but none have left yet, and it would be a few weeks before you would see any at a dealer. So I think if you talk to Exmark you could get a variety of different stories ranging from production 2 weeks ago to production today, even not even being produced yet.
  6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Growth spurts in northern states are easily managed with a well thought out fertilization program using WIN and correct culturial practices. I really don't foresee a problem with Exmark's configuration, at least on my lawns.
  7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

I have information relating to this delay that is quite possibly more true than the previous statements made in this post, but have been asked not to pass it along.

Let's just say, at least they are fixing it BEFORE it is sent out to dealers and then doing a recall later on.

So, just wait patiently.
  8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Then at least private msg me the hold up so I know lol.
  9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Information is that the Unit as Presented Will Suck as Anyone w/any eXperience Can Tell...It's Not as Bad as the 4 Chamber Hustler Gatestar Fiasco that was an Obvious Bomb to Anyone in the Know but It's Close.
  10. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Have you ever made a positive reply on anything discussed here at LS