News Paper or Yellow Pages??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by crosson lawn, Nov 15, 2003.

1. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

I am wondering about where i will get the most business.
    i believe the news paper what are your thoughts.

actually i am thinking of not advertising at all. because i only want to mow in certian areas of Jacksonville and don't want people calling me from all over the town. i guess i will have to stick to door hangers huh??

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used the newspaper in the past. But word of mouth is best.

3. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow pages usually gets you nothing but people going down the list calling every landscaper for an estimate. Usually not the type of cutomers that are ideal, but hey if it gets them to call you, you got one foot in the door.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yellow pages work great, but Jacksonville is a big area. If you dont want to do the whole area maybe the best bet is the newspapers.

5. PKB005

PKB005 LawnSite Member

NEWSPARER WORKS GREAT FOR ME THE YELLOW PAGES ARE VERY EXPENSIVE AND GET YOU UN NEESISARY CALLS FROM AREAS YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK IN

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I like the newspaper ads. My three line ads costs me $130/mo and it's worth it.

When I advertise for mowing, I get people who want me to come right over immediately. Sometimes by the time I get there they have found someone else. Amusing to me. Those are the ones I don't want anyway.

One more line in the ad could be used to give locations, but sometimes I share leads outside of my service area.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Crosson,

Here is a quote

"YELLOW PAGES

One year and not one call!"

From this post Marketing flops

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have the opposite experience. I get NO CALLS from the newspaper, tons of calls from the phone book. So many that I had to shrink up my ad. Yellow pages works great for me.

:D

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just like MTD, no calls from newspaper and everything from yellow pages or word of mouth

10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

Word of mouth is best, but when starting out try direct mail. You can get a very specific target market and if you follow up with sales calls it won't be long before the word of mouth starts working.