1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

News Paper Weed Barrier

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by usmc2033, Sep 7, 2004.

1. usmc2033

usmc2033 LawnSite Member

Anyone tried this? Putting down news paper over grass/weeds and then mulching it for a bed. I am pretty much a small time LCO but have a very good customer wanting some bed work done. Mainly coastal and weeds. I was thinking of roundup and then the news papers and then mulching. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
  2. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

I would stay away from the papers. They will decompose and the ink is soy based so it's not bad for the environment but it's much more trouble than it's worth. It takes a lot of papers, too. Years later you could find scraps of paper littering the yard when mulch gets thin.

Just Round Up and mulch is all you need. If you can pull the dead weeds before you mulch that would best.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have used it at my own house and had rather good luck with it. I took the string trimmer and scalped the area , then put down the papers and mulch. Its been about 3-4 years and all i have done is replaced the mulch
  4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure this works just fine and it's all eco-friendly and everything but I can think of tons of drawbacks. It's not like I'm trying to poison the plant or anything but has anyone heard of pre-emergents? Mix them up with some Roundup and problem solved.
  5. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

You want to mix pre-emergence and Round Up?

Good luck.
  6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, certain one's you can. Just read the label first. I use Pendulum AquaCap this way.
  7. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I actually had a customer request this and have been doing it everytime i mulch their property. By the time you need to mulch again the old newspapers have already decomposed. I have not run into any problems and have been doing it hte last 6 years .