1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Ad Or Direct Mail?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BASIC, Jan 3, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC LawnSite Member

Hi guys,Happy New Year.I'm trying to start a marketing plan for our lawn care buisness and I have a question.We started cutting lawns last year on a very limited basis,I had never done it before,so I wanted to make sure I new what I was doing before I made a commitment to alot of customers,I also have a full time job that I'm desprate to leave.While I'm far from an expert,I can do a good job on a lawn,now what I need are more customers.I live in a county in northwestern NJ of about 130,000 people,it's very deverse as far as income levels and type of properties(homes,condos,development,industrial and commercial).It's also a fairly large area for Jersey.What do you think would be the best way to advertise,the one local newspaper,very small community newspapers or direct mail?I think the newspapers would be the best way to go because it covers a much wider area.I also think most people throw away unsolicited material(I do).I'm very interested in your opinions.Thankyou for any help you may give us,BASIC.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Basic,

Here is a post on newspaper ads.

Here is another post on direct mail.

Hope this helps.

I wish you a great new year!